Posts: 674
Threads: 114
Joined: Jul 2004
Reputation:
0
Guys,
All I've done the past two years is almost exclusively listen to the hip. So much so that I am nearly getting tired of the band. I think I need to take a break. Need some new tunes. Any one have any suggestions? New bands? CDs?
Mick
Posts: 71
Threads: 9
Joined: May 2004
Reputation:
0
Might I recommend A Perfect Circle's Thirteenth Step.....album of the year in my opinion. No one can touch Maynard James Keenan (again- IMO)
Joe.
Posts: 3,827
Threads: 363
Joined: Oct 2002
Reputation:
0
travis..the invisible band...
dandy warhols...13 tales...
those 2 immediately pop into my head...or if you so desire..
Red White & Crue..motley's greatest hits!!
Posts: 1,079
Threads: 101
Joined: Apr 2004
Reputation:
0
I hear you, I cannot listen to IBE any longer. Re-visited Henhouse lately out of respect and really enjoyed it. Boots of the mid 90's have really been awesome gathering up.
I would recommend-
Cross Canadian Ragweed...sounds a lot like older hip..a little bit country a little bit rock and roll. (not actually can-eh-dian...from texas)
Drive by Truckers is on my list to get more of as well.
Posts: 1,312
Threads: 61
Joined: Jul 2002
Reputation:
0
I've could never listen to any one band exclusivly for any length of time. I don't understand it. I mean, the Hip are probably my favourite band at any given time but to listen to them ALL of the time?? No way. There's so much great stuff out there, why limit yourself to one band?
Anyway, some of the stuff I've been listening to lately is:
The Shins
Old 97's
Drive-By Truckers
Gomez
Cake
Modest Mouse
and on and on....
Of course the classic stuff like Zeppelin, Neil Young, Hendrix, Who, Beatles, Velvet Underground, Bowie and more are always in the rotation.
If you're at a computer a lot I can't recommend enough checking out Radio Paradise. They've turned me on to a ton of great music.
Posts: 674
Threads: 114
Joined: Jul 2004
Reputation:
0
Thanks for the ideas guys. That radio paradise is pretty sweet!!
Per the Alex Lifeson episode of the TPB's, I was thinking about picking up some Rush. Anyone have a favorite / must have Rush album?
Mick
Posts: 346
Threads: 18
Joined: Jun 2004
Reputation:
0
If you don't own 2112 by Rush, you must try it out.
Posts: 1,143
Threads: 27
Joined: Jul 2004
Reputation:
0
Drive By Truckers
North Mississippi Allstars
Ron Sexsmith
Black Crowes
Trews
Big Sugar.
Posts: 2,255
Threads: 36
Joined: Sep 2002
Reputation:
0
Headstones
Hugh Dillion Redemption Choir
The Spades
Posts: 3,220
Threads: 297
Joined: Mar 2004
Reputation:
0
I figure this might happen to me one day... but I hope not.
But if you must broaden your horizons, the CBC Radio 3 site has new and generally good bands up on a weekly basis. That's how I stay current without having to suffer through radio.
Although, there is one band that's in the corpo-sphere but does remind me of 1988 era Hip, in spirit and style: "The Trews." They're a-ok.
Posts: 5,352
Threads: 277
Joined: Jun 2004
Reputation:
0
I take some flak for always saying this but Ill say it anyway: THORNLEY!!
So you've been listening to the hip for 2 years and your tired of them, tsk tsk. :o
Ive been listening to the Hip virtually non-stop for 13 years and Im not even close to tired of them, but sometimes I do take a bit of a "hipbreak" as I like to call it, Ill get all jazzed up about a band for no reason and listen to them until I OD on it, then I go back to my mainstay Hip. I find it hard to go a day without 2 things one is the Hip and the other is Peanut Butter!
I also recommend:
Ron Sexsmith as was stated earlier, but hey he's just that good
Matthew Good-Solo or band (both great)
or do what I do, I just dip into my collection and pull things out at random
I own close to 500 CD's so I have lots to pick from :wink:
Imagine a world before the "beginning was the word.”
Posts: 3,394
Threads: 118
Joined: May 2004
Reputation:
0
An iPod is the ideal solution to what ails you. I've got all 8,000 of my songs rated on a five star system. When I'm in a Hip mood (which is roughly 75% of the time), I put on my Hip playlist which is the 50 Hip songs that I've listened to least recently. Then if I need a Hip break, I put on the "4 and 5 Star" playlist which is 500 songs I've rated 4 and 5 which have been played least recently. It is soooooo damn easy to switch back and forth, which I tend to do a couple of times a day.