Posts: 791
Threads: 140
Joined: Jul 2002
Reputation:
0
I hate it when I see Hip bootlegs on E-Bay, but I am INCENSED when it is a show that I've personally recorded....
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=307&item=4028484507&rd=1">http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 84507&rd=1</a><!-- m -->
Rory
Halifax
Posts: 1,042
Threads: 52
Joined: Jun 2002
Reputation:
0
Hey Rory,
I hate to say it but this same guy has been putting up shows on a regular basis and getting between 20 and 30 bucks each time. They were doing a Chicago show earlier, now seem to be doing the Montreal one. I agree it is ridiculous. I know they take the listing down when reported, but if you continue to do it, you should get fined or something. It looks like its some hick from the trailer park down south, maybe they're having trouble coming through with this months payment. Or maybe they've run out of Schmidt's and need a quick buck.
Posts: 791
Threads: 140
Joined: Jul 2002
Reputation:
0
So how does one stop a loser such as this from doing this?
Rory
Halifax
Posts: 1,005
Threads: 73
Joined: Jun 2002
Reputation:
0
I agree guys, this pisses me off.
I have an idea we could all take advantage. Why don't the members of hipbase create a fake user name ID on ebay that only a select few people would know. Those people would then monitor bootlegs sold on ebay and we'd made false bids to get the guys screwed over who are selling the shows. There used to be a guy called "DON'T SELL HIP BOOTLEGS" but I haven't seen him make bids lately.
Anyone else have ideas?
Posts: 6,734
Threads: 665
Joined: Jun 2002
Reputation:
0
From Chris's signature.
Report Hip bootlegs here.
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/bootlegs.html">http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/bootlegs.html</a><!-- m -->
"We're forced to bed, but we're free to dream"
Dana
Posts: 2,367
Threads: 143
Joined: Jul 2002
Reputation:
0
After two or three post-auction withdrawals, EBAY cancels your account (especially if you don't have lots of positive feedback)...and since each account needs a different credit card number, I don't think we could get very far. I think it's just smarter to report each auction. I do when I find them and at least one auction I reported was cancelled the next day.
Just to meet traders I used to have "auctions" for bootlegs with a $1000 asking price. My auctions always said "I'm not actually selling anything, but if you like the look of this bootleg, I'll be happy to trade, e-mail me." Even with THAT caveat, they still got cancelled half the time. It was worth it because I got to do some great trades, but it just goes to show people reporting my auction got it cancelled.
Posts: 2,367
Threads: 143
Joined: Jul 2002
Reputation:
0
Yeah they do a pretty good job policing their space. I haven't used it much in the past two years, so for all I know it could be much too big to monitor now (plus they're a publicly traded company now so I wouldn't be surprised if lots of the people who would sit around and monitor things like that were laid off) but certainly a while ago when I was hardcore into it, they had established a very positive reputation for things like that.
Posts: 1,318
Threads: 110
Joined: Jan 2004
Reputation:
0
At least they're selling a great show. Bastards. My housemate and I got into serious rows over selling boots -- he had bought two or three Tea Party shows off Ebay last year, claiming not being able to find them for trade. I sent him to etree -- that shut him up pretty quickly.
Too many people don't know they need not pay for such material. Education for the masses!
Cheers
Pat
Ps: Time to listen to that Montreal show again. Thanks so much for all the b&ps Rory. You are missed around here as a taper/trader, but even more so as a genuinely great human being.
Posts: 2,571
Threads: 145
Joined: May 2003
Reputation:
0
When someone bidz on the auction just send him and email thru the ebay system and tell him you'll hook him up and so on and so on, whoever makez a bid just email and point him in the write direction.....
I will not give up. My face is set,my gait is fast,my goal is heaven,my road is narrow,my way is rough,my companions are few,my guide is reliable,my mission is clear. I cannot be bought,compromised,detoured,lured away,turned back,diluted or delayed. I will not flinch in the face of sacrifice,hesitate in the presence of adversity,negotiate at the table of the enemy,ponder at the pool of popularity,or meander in the maze of mediocrity. I will not give up,shut up or slow down....Blessed Be!