Posts: 2,144
Threads: 97
Joined: Jun 2003
Reputation:
0
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://jam.canoe.ca/JamMusic/jan16_wigney-sun.html">http://jam.canoe.ca/JamMusic/jan16_wigney-sun.html</a><!-- m -->
Interesting opinion piece from the canoe website, its a bit harsh on Gord! He's got some good points, mostly about musicians like Bono taking themselves way too seriously, but the rip on Gord is puzzling.
Posts: 8,614
Threads: 451
Joined: Sep 2002
Reputation:
0
I don't see the author as being harsh on Gord - he is afterall, the best selling 'poet' in Canada.
Posts: 2,144
Threads: 97
Joined: Jun 2003
Reputation:
0
I think the author was saying that musicians and songwriters don't make very good poets because they write songs for the masses and the lyrics aren't that complex or meaningful, it sounded very snobbish to me. What he was saying that they are best selling because of their fame as musicians, not because they write great poetry.
Posts: 8,614
Threads: 451
Joined: Sep 2002
Reputation:
0
I agree with the statement that they are best-sellers because of their music fame; but not with the thought that because they write for the masses, their lyrics aren't complex or meaningful.
Either way, the article did seem snobbish.
Posts: 2,367
Threads: 143
Joined: Jul 2002
Reputation:
0
Goddamn leech, that's all that article's author is. Art is the easiest thing to criticize because if it doesn't mean anything to you it's easy to assume it doesn't mean anything to anyone. It's also especially easy to criticize when you yourself don't contribute anything to the art community, just a bleep-load of artificial, opinionated hot air. Grrr...
Posts: 2,144
Threads: 97
Joined: Jun 2003
Reputation:
0
It's kind of funny, but i actually bought Jewel's book of poetry for an ex-girlfriend; never gave it to her and kept it for myself after reading it through. CMG was surreal and very very different from the kind of music i was used to from Gord, but i loved the imagery in his poetry and writing.
Posts: 21
Threads: 1
Joined: Sep 2003
Reputation:
0
What a tool! What does this guy know about poetry? CMG is beautiful. Gord is all about words- whether spoken, sung, or written. How is it that someone who takes his or her craft to a different plane is taking themselves too seriously? Someone is taking himself too seriously and it sure isn't Gord. Good for Gord that he meandered off the path a bit. Gord's words are mentally tasty and nutritious and I'll take them however I can get them. Yum. Keep 'em coming.
Posts: 210
Threads: 24
Joined: Oct 2002
Reputation:
0
I think we should all be glad Gord doesn't pay much attention to this type of press, or he might be scared to do anything new. There was a suggestion in a lot of the reviews I read when CMG came out that Gord was too mainstream to pee with the tall dogs. I must be a philistine, because I absolutely love that book.