Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Thoughts and Insights -- We Are The Same
#76

Chris Tanz Wrote:
edgoffin Wrote:
daylight Wrote:I was disappointed that the rest of WATS didn't come close to Morning Moon, which was a fantastic single.

Same here -- it was the first lead single in a few albums that really grabbed me.

Wasn't Love is a First the lead single?

Yep, although I think Morning Moon was released on the website, possibly prior to Love is a First. I don't ever recall hearing Morning Moon on rock radio in 2009, but Love is a First got a fair amount of play at that time.
Reply
#77

I remember thinking "what an ... interesting ... choice for a lead single." Ahh, the Hip. So market-driven.

ct
Reply
#78

I think Morning Moon was put on the website first as a tease, but the first official single was Love Is A First ?

Maybe I'm wrong. I'd have to look back in the archives to know for sure.

2004-12-03 - Saint John/2005-09-03 - Moncton/2006-06-30 - Charlottetown/2006-11-09/10 - Montreal/2007-09-11 - Fredericton/2007-09-13 - Halifax/2007-09-14 - Sydney/2007-09-15 - Charlottetown/2008-06-30 - Charlottetown/2009-05-01/02 - Montreal/2011-06-28 - Moncton/2011-06-30 - Charlottetown/2012-06-30 - Niagara-on-the-Lake/2013-02-01 - Moncton/2013-02-02 - Halifax/2015-01-10 - Toronto/2015-02-20 - Montreal/2015-07-17 - Ottawa/2016-08-18 - Ottawa/2016-08-20 - Kingston
Reply
#79

sean.bonner Wrote:I think Morning Moon was put on the website first as a tease, but the first official single was Love Is A First ?

Maybe I'm wrong. I'd have to look back in the archives to know for sure.

First single was definitely "Love is a First". I don't know if Morning Moon was ever officially released to radio.

This album, possibly more than any other Hip album, lacks obvious singles. Morning Moon should have been a hit, but beyond that there are no easy choices for singles, likely to the chagrin of their A&R man.
Reply
#80

potsie Wrote:... there are no easy choices for singles, likely to the chagrin of their A&R man.

And a roadie named Bart.

ct
Reply
#81

potsie Wrote:
sean.bonner Wrote:I think Morning Moon was put on the website first as a tease, but the first official single was Love Is A First ?

Maybe I'm wrong. I'd have to look back in the archives to know for sure.

First single was definitely "Love is a First". I don't know if Morning Moon was ever officially released to radio.

This album, possibly more than any other Hip album, lacks obvious singles. Morning Moon should have been a hit, but beyond that there are no easy choices for singles, likely to the chagrin of their A&R man.

I don't know, I listen to this album and I hear a number of songs that I could see as having garnered radio play as singles. They don't necessarily sound like prototypical Hip songs, but I hear more radio-friendly songs on this album than World Container, NFPA, M@W and MMP.
Reply
#82

potsie Wrote:
sean.bonner Wrote:I think Morning Moon was put on the website first as a tease, but the first official single was Love Is A First ?

Maybe I'm wrong. I'd have to look back in the archives to know for sure.

First single was definitely "Love is a First". I don't know if Morning Moon was ever officially released to radio.

There is a promo CD for morning moon, the coverart has the band in front of the drive in.

I am looking for a copy of this CD, if anyone has one they'd be willing to part with in sale or trade!

What does everyone think of the sequencing? Morning moon is an incredible opener, as posted, but I feel Coffee girl kills momentum that could have been built into the combo of honey please/last recluse. And as I read elsewhere, there are songs that could have closed WATS with a bang, but country day isn't one of them.
Reply
#83

sean.bonner Wrote:I think Morning Moon was put on the website first as a tease, but the first official single was Love Is A First ?

Maybe I'm wrong. I'd have to look back in the archives to know for sure.

That is right -- Morning Moon was posted to the website in advance of the album release. I'm calling it the "lead single", but it may have not been released to radio.

I only really remember it so well because on the same day The Black Crowes released "Goodbye Daughters of the Revolution" on their website -- I was excited for both albums at the time.
Reply
#84

edgoffin Wrote:I only really remember it so well because on the same day The Black Crowes released "Goodbye Daughters of the Revolution" on their website.

Such a great song!

:thumb:
Reply
#85

Chris Tanz Wrote:
potsie Wrote:... there are no easy choices for singles, likely to the chagrin of their A&R man.

And a roadie named Bart.

ct

I was hoping someone would get that reference! Not sure the Hip have had an A&R man in the past 20 years... seems like they have had near complete autonomy when it comes to single picking.
Reply
#86

loach Wrote:
potsie Wrote:First single was definitely "Love is a First". I don't know if Morning Moon was ever officially released to radio.

This album, possibly more than any other Hip album, lacks obvious singles. Morning Moon should have been a hit, but beyond that there are no easy choices for singles, likely to the chagrin of their A&R man.

I don't know, I listen to this album and I hear a number of songs that I could see as having garnered radio play as singles. They don't necessarily sound like prototypical Hip songs, but I hear more radio-friendly songs on this album than World Container, NFPA, M@W and MMP.

I should have emphasized the word "obvious". Sure, like any Hip album, there are a number of songs that could have been singles. But after Morning Moon, if the band was striving for radio play (which they clearly were in the WC time period when they put In View in the lead-off spot) I'm not sure there is a clear second (third, or fourth) choice. Recluse? Maybe. Depression Suite? Definitely too long. Love is a First? That one fell a bit flat at radio. After that, there isn't much left. Whereas I take the opposite view of you on WC... I think there are more obvious choices for singles on there: Ocean, Rink, Family Band, Kids, In View, Luv (sic), etc. I could imagine all of those garnering radio play. You are likely right about MMP and NFPA.
Reply
#87

On the typical Canada flag-waving, beer-swilling rock stations, Country Day could've done well as a single. Because most people don't listen too closely to the actual content of the lyrics, and Gord quotes, "God keep our land."

Jeff

June 21, 2003 Toronto, ON: SkyDome
July 1, 2004 Toronto, ON: Molson Amphitheatre
November 26, 2004 Toronto, ON: Air Canada Centre
June 24, 2006 Toronto, ON: Historic Fort York
May 10, 2007 Indianapolis, IN: The Vogue
July 14, 2011 Edmonton, AB: Northlands Festival Site
June 30, 2012 Niagara-on-the-Lake, ON: The Commons at Butler's Barracks
January 23, 2013 Edmonton, AB: Rexall Place
July 28, 2016 Edmonton, AB: Rexall Place
Reply
#88

fingernailsonhull Wrote:On the typical Canada flag-waving, beer-swilling rock stations, Country Day could've done well as a single. Because most people don't listen too closely to the actual content of the lyrics, and Gord quotes, "God keep our land."

The fact that The Dark Canuck is not considered the greatest Hip song of all time by the ballcap-clad-class belies this theory. Except with TDC, it would have been deserved.

ct
Reply
#89

Probably way off here but to me Country Day is less about country, as in, rural life, and more about the country of Canada.

So God keep our land
Cause we certainly can't
Until the darkness ends
Until the sun dries again


To me this feels like more residential school / reconciliation stuff. "that rock it missed your head" is the clue to the song, and I have no idea what it refers to...a native protest of some kind?
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 3 Guest(s)