Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Your top 10 albums of 2006
#46

Can't remember all that came out this year but off the top of my head anyway not in any special order:

Mastodon - Blood Mountain
Black Label Society - Shot to Hell (one of Zakk's best solo records)
Deicide - The Stench of Redemption
T Hip - World Cont.
CANNIBAL CORPSE - KILL :thumb:

I want to say Slayer - Christ Illusion but after 4 yrs AND w/ Lombardo back in the band....Front to back not their best, but it is new SLAYER.

There's a few albums that I didn't hear till this year (Candlemass, Dust, Alkaline Trio, Sterophonics etc.) I'm diggin on but don't count since it's a 2006 poll.
Reply
#47

Spycouple Wrote:
The Darkest Canuck Wrote:song of the year was Vicarious by Tool IMO, soooooooooooo sooooooooo good.

I liked it better the first time around, when they called it "Schism"

I know you said you dig Tool and you though The Pot would have been a better first single, but do you really think that Vicarious and Schism sound the same? I'm sorry, but they do not. They are widely different lyrically and musically. Still, The Pot would have been better to start out. They would have sold twice as many albums in the early going...and to get back on topic, sadly I haven't even purchased ten new albums in 06, but what I have purchased has been AMAZING (maybe I should buy more?!):

World Container
Chemical City
10,000 Days

Looking over everyones entries, I would say that Pearl Jam is the only one I'm missing out of the consensus top 10.
Reply
#48

thedaver39 Wrote:
Spycouple Wrote:
The Darkest Canuck Wrote:song of the year was Vicarious by Tool IMO, soooooooooooo sooooooooo good.
I liked it better the first time around, when they called it "Schism"
I know you said you dig Tool and you though The Pot would have been a better first single, but do you really think that Vicarious and Schism sound the same?
Yes I do, mostly because of the intro of "Vicarious" sounding like a reworking of "Schism"s baseline. Sure "Vicarious" is sped up in tempo, and the song goes off in different directions (though nothing new sounding in terms of Tool), it comes back to that same familar riff that does a similar build up, just more aggressively and with lots of double-kick. My problem with the song and it sounding (to me) like another "Schism" is only that it was the lead-off single, i.e. the one that was played constantlly on the radio when the album came out.

My initial reaction to both the song and the album was "It sounds like they collected all the multitracks of their previous albums, dumpted them all into ProTools, and said 'Okay, we've got to make a new album somehow out of all these tracks', then went about cutting, pasting, and manipulating until they had something that sounded kinda like parts of the other albums, but not quite. I actually wouldn't have a problem at all if they did someting like this. They're obviously studio wizards and who knows what kind of alchemy they could pull off that way. It would be an interesting experiment (and might take less than their standard 4 years! Smile ).

But regardless, hearing "Vicarious" on the radio didn't have nearly the same effect for me as hearing "Schism" and going 'Wow, only Tool could actually pull off getting airplay for a 7 minute single in 2001." So what do they do on the next album, five years later? Another 7 minute single that sounds just like you'd expect Tool to sound and even has a similar intro riff to their last radio single. Granted, "The Pot" is a good 6 minutes long, but the opening vocal by Maynard is just dfferent enough to go 'Hmmm...' and then it's followed by much better musical and lyrical hooks than in "Vicarious".

10,000 Days is not an album that I've actually listened to that much personally, but I would probably rank it up there for best of 2006, if only because of the album cover (genius! and yes we're still on topic). I just can only handle limited doses of Tool at a time, unless driving long long distances. I usually go for Aenima when that dose of Tool is needed, nothing against "Vicarious".
Reply
#49

cferneyh Wrote:
Spycouple Wrote:Best song of 2006: "Lousiana" from The Walkmen's A Hundred Miles Off. I wish more of the album was like this song.

No kidding. I was really anticipating the album, but Louisiana, Brandy Alexander, and Another One Goes By are the only tracks that do anything for me.

yah, that album's lame aside from louisiana, in this cat's opinion.
Reply
#50

i like the tool album, but those 2 songs sound a lot alike...if it was nickelback we'd be all over them for it
Reply
#51

they sound nothing alike...you guys need to invest in some q-tips...


Schism has a primus-esque bassline, and a riff similar to that of hells bells...

Vicarious starts off with a heavy hitting riff, and doesn't let up much...if there were any similarity at all between the two, it would be the winding drum parts at the ends of them...m
Reply
#52

I'm still struggling with this one... I've got a couple more weeks to decide though :thumb:

Come say hi on twitter @MattMerritt
Reply
#53

Spycouple Wrote:But regardless, hearing "Vicarious" on the radio didn't have nearly the same effect for me as hearing "Schism" and going 'Wow, only Tool could actually pull off getting airplay for a 7 minute single in 2001." So what do they do on the next album, five years later? Another 7 minute single that sounds just like you'd expect Tool to sound and even has a similar intro riff to their last radio single. Granted, "The Pot" is a good 6 minutes long, but the opening vocal by Maynard is just dfferent enough to go 'Hmmm...' and then it's followed by much better musical and lyrical hooks than in "Vicarious".

I would've loved it if they release parts 1&2 as the first single, though then people may have compared it to parabol/parabola being released as a single

Anyways, what albums have I bought this year and really enjoyed?

- The Hip - World Container
- Tool - 10 000 Days
- Les Claypool - Of Whales and Woes
- Danko Jones - Sleep is the Enemy
- Pearl Jam - Pearl Jam

I don't know if I bought anyother albums that have come out this year, I've bought other discs but I don't think any of them have been released this year.
Reply
#54

dreyfuss Wrote:
Spycouple Wrote:But regardless, hearing "Vicarious" on the radio didn't have nearly the same effect for me as hearing "Schism" and going 'Wow, only Tool could actually pull off getting airplay for a 7 minute single in 2001." So what do they do on the next album, five years later? Another 7 minute single that sounds just like you'd expect Tool to sound and even has a similar intro riff to their last radio single. Granted, "The Pot" is a good 6 minutes long, but the opening vocal by Maynard is just dfferent enough to go 'Hmmm...' and then it's followed by much better musical and lyrical hooks than in "Vicarious".

I would've loved it if they release parts 1&2 as the first single, though then people may have compared it to parabol/parabola being released as a single

Anyways, what albums have I bought this year and really enjoyed?

- The Hip - World Container
- Tool - 10 000 Days
- Les Claypool - Of Whales and Woes
- Danko Jones - Sleep is the Enemy
- Pearl Jam - Pearl Jam

I don't know if I bought anyother albums that have come out this year, I've bought other discs but I don't think any of them have been released this year.

i'm a big danko fan but not a fan of sleep is the enemy at all. i like about four chunes from it. we sweat blood is duh shit.
did you make the mod club show last week? frickin' good.
Reply
#55

The Darkest Canuck Wrote:they sound nothing alike...you guys need to invest in some q-tips...

Stick THIS in your ear instead...
Reply
#56

GBV Wrote:i'm a big danko fan but not a fan of sleep is the enemy at all. i like about four chunes from it. we sweat blood is duh shit.
did you make the mod club show last week? frickin' good.

Yup, I was right up front, it was great and definitely a unique Danko show with all the covers (and John Garcia) in the encore.

It's not my fav Danko Album either but I still like it a lot and since I've bought so few albums this year, it gets in there.
Reply
#57

Spycouple Wrote:
The Darkest Canuck Wrote:they sound nothing alike...you guys need to invest in some q-tips...

Stick THIS in your ear instead...

I think they were just starting to mesh well as you faded it out, this has been talked about quite a bit by lots of hard core and not so hard core tool fans, some stuff on this album definitely sounds like it is from another tool song, there are parts that can be referenced to all of their albums, some people have a problem with this. I for think certain pieces sound familiar or similar to other songs but not the same, and I know you're basically saying the same thing Spycouple. I think it's kind of like you hear something that you could've heard in another Tool song, another verse or bridge or something to that effect, and knowing their playful habits that may be the intentions, I'd like to see them do something like that live, just take parts from songs and mash it all together for 1 long intense song.
Reply
#58

I'm no Tool fan, but I don't think there's anything wrong with putting out similar songs. Everyone does it -- if they're not ripping themselves off, they're ripping off someone else.

It's better to be good than to be original. Most bands fail on both counts.
Reply
#59

I'll get around to this in the next few days to a week. I'll have a hard time with just ten though. I'll rank 10 but I'll have to list the others as well. There's easily over 30 albums this year that I'm glad I bought. Lots and lots of great music out there if you do a little digging.
Reply
#60

Spycouple Wrote:
The Darkest Canuck Wrote:they sound nothing alike...you guys need to invest in some q-tips...

Stick THIS in your ear instead...

point taken - you've basically said it here, and I'll now agree that the intros are similar, but once Vicarious kicks into gear, the similarities for me are completely over. Vicarious reminds me of a mix between the Undertow days (Swamp Song?) and the Lateralus era. That was my first impression of the song, and that impression remains. I always thought it reminded me of Lateralus because of the tone/level of Maynard's vocals, but perhaps on more of a subconscious level I was hearing Schism in that intro. Regardless of all of these thoughts/ideas/feelings, I think we can all agree that 10,000 Days is one of if not THE best album of the year (with apologies to The Hip, I have to go with Tool this year).
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)