Posts: 136
Threads: 11
Joined: Jun 2004
Reputation:
0
I have to say that this was the best that the Hip have ever played in the eight times I've seen them. The band was super tight and Gord's voice is totally amazing. I had been reading people say that Gord is in the best shape he's been in years and his voice is better than ever and I was thinking that tbe excitement of these shows was taking over....not true. Gord looked great, he did not stop moving the entire show and his voice was amazing! I honestly can not believe the energy that he kept for the entire show. It was also hilarious when he kept licking the mic stand and mic...and his own arms! haha. Some great moves tonight. Using the broken guitar string to whip Paul was great...as was the pee of the side of the stage in courage.
I also heard some great rare songs I've never heard. Pigeon, LTR and Scared made the show very special. I've wanted to hear Scared for years and finally hearing it was the highlight for me. It was beautiful.
The Weight was bang on. I have been very impressed with how good these quality these covers have been. I would have bet that these songs could have been shakey, but they are super tight. Paul has a great voice and I was jumping out of my skin watching him sing.
I was so lucky to have gotten sixth row centre tickets for this show....I assume anyone on this board would have felt the same. I was saddened to see the lack of excitement from the people around me. The first five rows did NOT stand up for the first song. Gord took it in stride and mocked them by sitting on the moniter acting disinterested. People sat through a lot of the show and didn't move or anything. Gord seemed to be frusterated at times...but he seemed to work even harder to get the crowd going. After Fire in the Hole he made some great comments about how the crowd FINALLY stood up. He also said before the Weight that this is one you should recognize and if you don't you can "Siiiit dowwwwn...take it eaaassssyyy!" Classic Gord. So, this is to us hipbasers and fellow music lovers...make sure you have fun...enjoy these shows and give the energy back to the band. They deserve the appreciation. I know this isn't needed here....but I was really frusterated at points last night.
However....the show band was amazing and the setlist was fantastic.
Enjoy the rest of the shows....we love a special band!
John
Posts: 22
Threads: 3
Joined: Jan 2006
Reputation:
0
for the first time i got too see 2 shows in a row, i thought thursday was awesome but this was one of the best and i have seen them 14 times.
it was a different feel from thursday.it felt overwhelming and that was before they took the stage.
they must love too perform and i love seeing them because they are raw and dont have the pre-rehearsed night after night shows that others have.
they played off each other more than i had ever seen and had the chance too stand and show off a bit as individuals .
more like a team and not one person that overshadows the others.
and yes paul singing was the highlight for me .his voice is great and too hear him alone was awesome.
its funny because everytime i go i think ---this is it .this cant get any better so why go again.
well i know now that its them being great everytime that makes me want too go back.
i took my neice and she had never seen them and she was blown away.
Posts: 22
Threads: 3
Joined: Jan 2006
Reputation:
0
thanks hipfans .i was hoping someone would be able too tape the weight ,and paul singing.it was the first thing i told my husband about when i got home and now he can appreciate it for himself.
Posts: 6,675
Threads: 359
Joined: Mar 2004
Reputation:
0
Chris, thanks so much for posting The Weight! There's just something magical about a legendary Canadian band covering a classic song by another legendary Canadian band. It sounds amazing, and Paul kicks all kinds of ass on that 3rd verse. Great stuff!
:thumb:
Posts: 183
Threads: 2
Joined: Oct 2004
Reputation:
0
Man... The Weight sounds fantastic!
I hope we can have a "Hip Covers" compilation released at some point, because it sounds like these have been amazing.