*LONG DISAGREEMENT ALERT*
As much as I love the Hip, I agree with this guy.
The world is on a steady nose-dive into filth. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm a porn-addict. I love bloodshed on movies and games. I'm the biggest junkie in this half of Canada but, come on.
Basic cable is getting more and more inhibition-less. I remember being like 11 and the chances of catching something on TV even slightly-arousing was next to impossible. Now it's all over the place.
Girls are dressing like whores at earlier and earlier ages. People are showing more and more skin on TV and in public. Rap is taking the airwaves; guns, drugs and money. Who said rap had to be about only three things? Video games are getting more sophisticated (and there's only so many storylines for video games).
We are animals.
We are sexual, warrior, blood-thirsty slime.
Sex sells. Violence sells.
Welcome fiends, to the age of vulgarity.
For years we have been separating ourselves from the animals. We invented clothing and tools and virtues and sins and definitions like "good" and "bad".
It used to taboo to talk about sex on TV and now there are tons of shows dedicated to it. They (TV producers or something) will always push the envelope to deliver something unseen or unheard of and eventually there will be nothing left.
By letting something slip through the net we just make the hole bigger for the next fish to want to wiggle through and then pretty soon we'll just say "screw the net."
As for Marilyn Manson, besides being creepy and visually-deranged, name one "bad" thing the dude has ever done. As far as I can see, he's just using one of the last available images for an artist there is. The creepy, sickening, monster look.
The guy speaks out against tradition and conventional ideas and bashes the dominating religion and gets a bad rep. I believe in his concept of questioning our beliefs and routines and I believe changes need to be made. But only changes that would make the human race better not worse.
Whew. I need a smoke now...