Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

06/21/08 - Belleville, Ontario - Zwick's Park
#25

Sarah Harmer
Pendulums
Almost
The Hideout
"Late Bloomer" (new song)
Oleander
Escarpment Blues
"The City" (new song)
Around This Corner
Dandelions and Bullet Holes
Silver Road (w/ GD)
Weakened State

Sarah was great. We were entering the park as Pendulums started. Can't imagine there was a song before it. Sadly no Loadstar, but hey, that's what the song says anyway, right? It was nice to see her plugged in for most of the set, and the new songs show a lot of promise. She joked with the frat boys doing the Hip chant in the pit that they'd play Hip songs later, as they had gotten a sneak peak at the setlist and learned a couple of tracks

SRB
Love at the End of the World -->
(short drum solo) With a Bullet
Hard Road
Fixed to Ruin
Oh Maria
Them Kids (with a beautiful flub by Sam, forgetting the cords to the intro and laughing through the first couple of lines)
B-Down
Give Me a Reason
Up Sister
Bridge
Mindflood

Sam's set was solid. On more than one occasion my friend and I looked to each other and said, "we've gotta go to Bala don't we?" Possibly the highlight was about twenty feet away from us where the family members from Sam's band stood, including his wife and daughter. Arguably the cutest thing I've seen at a rock show since the lead singer of the Supersuckers brought his kid up during Rockin in the Free World at a Pearl Jam show was Sam's daughter with her pink headphones on waiving to Daddy up on stage. You could think that the family members would be able to take a show in stride -- they've seen hundreds of them by now. But not Sam's wife. She was so into the set. She wasn't his partner -- she was his fan. It was a sight to see.

Hip, in order.
Ocean
Music
Grace
Drop Off
Good Life
ABAC (Robbie electric outro)
In View
Giftshop
Courage
World
LTR
Poets (Swim outro)
Springtime
Bob C -->
Nautical
Fully
Family
(Voodoo Chile tease -- Robbie and Johnny)
New O
--
Rink
Wheat
Blow

This set still isn't sitting right with me. I guess it had me until Poets and Springtime and I just couldn't get back -- imagine if they'd played Fireworks too. Oy. The first four songs hit like a rocket. You could tell the show would be something else, but not necessarily the "all bets are off kind of setlist" (see opening with Fire in the Hole in Barrie in 2003). The crowd really pleased me, not necessarily because of how well the behaved themselves (comparatively) but more with how into it they were. As much as I hate crowd surfing, it was cool to see bodies up in arms during ABAC. I think In View comes off terribly live, but the crowd participation alone should probably make it a staple (Although if I had my way, I'd take the guitar from GD on that one and put a casio in front of him -- it would make the song). Great sing-a-longs on Courage and LTR, solid receptions to the new material, it was a crowd to be proud of. And the Hip's performance was great. It sounded way too good be in an outdoor venue that's never really been used as an outdoor venue. Despite a couple of glitches (there seemed to be something wrong with Robbie's amp all night), and some mis communication, it was a pretty flawless show.

It just feels like one I've seen before. I felt the same way after the Aug 1 show at the Amp on 2002. I'm not unhappy. I'm not about to hang my jersey from the rafters. I just don't know. Maybe tonight in Calgary would be the equivalent of Aug 2 (which blew the doors off of night one).

Anyway, that's me. I can still say, for the first time ever (well -- second) it was worth the drive to Belleville.

Cheers,

Pat
Reply


Messages In This Thread

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)