04-28-2006, 12:55 PM
Billy Wrote:The one thing that I didn't understand was why Heath ledger was the one up for the oscar, and the one getting all the hype. I thought Jake Glynthal(sp?) did a much, much better job, and thusly his character was much more real. Still, a powerful movie on many levels.
I think Gyllenhaal deserved more recognition as a supporting actor in the role, but in the end, i'm pretty sure the academy was right by awarding Phil S. Hoffman for best actor. In my opinion both Heath and Gyllenhaal gave great performances in tough roles to fill.
After seeing both Crash and Brokeback Mtn. a couple time now, I think Brokeback was more deserving of the oscar. Crash had some unique writing, but it just wasn't groundbreaking stuff to me. It was also too overtly politically aimed for my tastes(although the message was clear and important).
Brokeback told a specific story. so it's simpler compared to Crash. There were no breakthrough conventions as far as film goes(actually, the pacing seemed a bit off to me). The story was it's redeeming feature. I had completely different views about homosexuality and society after seeing the movie than before.

