03-04-2006, 01:25 AM
srb Wrote:tigerthelion Wrote:srb Wrote:My favourite boxer was Oscar Dela Hoya. Other than the big-name matches, Dela Hoya's were the only one's I paid attention to. He was fun to watch, not so much because of his ability to land punches, but moreso his ability to evade punches. You'd watch him completely dodge, 5-6 punch combinations, then WHAM...come around with the big hook....It was brilliant.
That comeback fight of his (2002?), I think vs. Vargas, was probably my most recent favourite fight. Oscar took a massive beating in the first couple of rounds, regained his posture & wore down Vargas, and in the 10th, knocked him down at the end of the round. Vargas got back up to go into the 11th, where Dela Hoya delivered a 15 punch combination to Vargas & the ref had to jump in to stop the fight. Fun stuff :thumb:
Oscar has a date in May scheduled with Ricardo Mayorga.
Good lord...is he still fighting?.......
He is in semi retirement but he wants two more fights, Mayorga and then Pretty Boy Floyd. He hasn't fought in a while and it'll be interesting to see how he looks in the ring in May. I'm also noticing a few stories about Oscar backing out of the fight before it happens but for now I assume he's going through with it.
BTW, TSN is showing the Cotto/Branco fight Saturday night and the replay of last weekend's Mosley/Vargas fight before it.

