Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

My brief review of War of the Worlds
#1

When it comes to summer popcorn flicks, it doesn't get much better than this. The "happy" ending was mildly annoying and there were a couple of silly plot developments, but overall I really enjoyed it. The first 90 minutes are absolutely riveting, and I liked the way Spielberg kept piling on the tension with every scene, creating a creepy atmosphere of doom and dread throughout the majority of the film. Those alien tripods are spooky as hell. I'm usually not a big CGI fan, as it can look a bit too cartoonish sometimes, but damn, the special effects in this flick were some of the best I've seen since Lord of the Rings, and the sound effects were incredible. Tom Cruise may be crazy as a freakin' loon these days, but the dude has always been a pretty solid actor in my book, and I think he does a great job in the movie. I kept waiting for a scene where he jumps up and down on a couch and declares his love for Katie Holmes, but they must have left it on the cutting room floor.

Overall it isn't Spielberg's best, but if you want some good rockin' summer entertainment, you could do much worse. I give it 3 thumbs out of 4!


:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
Reply


Messages In This Thread

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)