Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

More Reviews
#16

LizardKing51 Wrote:
spoonman Wrote:How is it that none of the reviews mention Last Night I Dreamed You Didn't Love Me? That song is an absolute gem! Perhaps the song isabout the loss of love from critics and half-ass fans!

You kissed me fingers you made me love you!!!!!!

Amen, that song is amazing!


Agreed. Best song on the album.
Reply
#17

I can undestand people not liking Coconut Cream. I used to hate it, then one day it came up while I was driving. I don't know what happened, but suddenly I couldn't get enough of it!!!

As for Vaccination Scar haters - that I'll never understand. When I first heard that song I couldn't contain myself. But each their own...

For the record: The worst Hip song of all time is Evelyn. Hands down.
Reply
#18

tragicallysteve Wrote:I can undestand people not liking Coconut Cream. I used to hate it, then one day it came up while I was driving. I don't know what happened, but suddenly I couldn't get enough of it!!!

As for Vaccination Scar haters - that I'll never understand. When I first heard that song I couldn't contain myself. But each their own...

For the record: The worst Hip song of all time is Evelyn. Hands down.

Damn, you're right. It's been so long since I've listened to that album, I almost forgot about that song. Ok, I've changed my mind. Coconut Cream is the 2nd worst Hip song ever (although I'll admit I do like the guitars on that tune)
Reply
#19

coconut ain't bad, scar kicks my ass everytime and evelyn i used to listen to it so much it wore off the fricken cd! 9ok i made that up but i did listen to it a lot)!

no one dare say anything about killing time cause it rocks too!
Reply
#20

Killing time was my absolute fav for years!

"I drank a half a bottle of Jack
Swore I'd never take you back
By the bottle's end
I was on that phone."

8)


Gord still writes the same thought-provoking lyrics these days
Reply
#21

But seriously, Killing Time rocks!!!
Reply
#22

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20061020/1053128.asp">http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20 ... 053128.asp</a><!-- m -->
The Tragically Hip

World Container

[Universal Canada]

3-1/2 out of 4 stars

For the Tragically Hip, the live setting has always been the medium of choice. Though the band has delivered a half-dozen timeless studio efforts, rarely has the sense of daring, risk-taking and delicate inter-band chemistry the musicians deliver on stage been fully captured in the recording studio. "World Container" changes this paradigm significantly.

Pairing the Hip with uber-rock producer Bob Rock, renowned for his work with Metallica, struck one as odd, initially. The Hip's Gordon Downie is a wonderfully emotive singer, and just as wonderfully strange, to the point that the Hip has come across as an astute alternative band. Rock is a hard-rock and metal producer, and he doesn't seem a natural choice for the Hip.

"World Container" delivers one pleasant surprise after another, however, and the first one you're gifted with is the taut precision of Rock's production, which thickens the presence of the rhythm section, beefs up the guitars and creates a completely pleasing ground for Downie to stomp around on. This is, by Hip standards, a very accessible record, full of immediately compelling hooks - hear "The Lonely End of the Rink" and "The Kids Don't Get It" once, and you've got two new friends for life - and tightly arranged structures. Downie is glorious within this framework. To hear him baring his soul during the title track, as the anthemic chord progression swirls around him and guest pianist Jamie Edwards lends to the grandeur, is to realize that the Hip is hitting a new peak 20 years into its career.

- Jeff Miers

"We're forced to bed, but we're free to dream"
Dana
Reply
#23

http://www.canada.com/cityguides/toronto...=19519&p=1

Mentions the Hipbase!
Reply
#24

Review from the Ottawa Citizen:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/news/arts/story.html?id=4620aac2-2423-4be1-aa5d-e8ea1302856f">http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/new ... ea1302856f</a><!-- m -->

Yet another positive review. It's been a while since I've seen this much universal acclaim for a Hip album. I think the last one was Phantom Power.
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)