Posts: 5,352
Threads: 277
Joined: Jun 2004
Reputation:
0
happened to me too, your one of millions so dont feel too bad. I got my ps2 right when they first came out and they had problems reading discs, rather than pay the money and send it away I got a newer one and its fine. If you really want to play I suggest buying one of the new slimmer ones. Search the web, there is supposed "fixes" all over the web. But basically your out of luck.
Save your money and buy a 360!! Join the revolution baby!!
:lol:
Imagine a world before the "beginning was the word.”
Posts: 5,352
Threads: 277
Joined: Jun 2004
Reputation:
0
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/hardware/ps2.ars">http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/hardware/ps2.ars</a><!-- m -->
Imagine a world before the "beginning was the word.”
Posts: 1,795
Threads: 95
Joined: Jun 2003
Reputation:
0
no.. go get an older style one and attach a 120GB harddrive to it. you then go buy HD Loader software.
basically the software copies the games to the HD and then you can play them from that, rather than the cd.
load times are about 5 to 10 times faster.
i have 23 games on my hard drive right now.
Posts: 799
Threads: 54
Joined: Jul 2002
Reputation:
0
Try exchanging it at Walmart if the model you have is still available. I bought an Xbox the day it came out and by that spring it was toast so I exchanged it. About a year later it stopped working again so what I did was bought a new one, then switched the systems and returned it. Walmart takes anything back without much inspection.
Nov 19, 1996 Winnipeg, MB
Jul 23, 1997 Winnipeg, MB
Feb 26, 1999 Winnipeg, MB
Oct 1, 2002 Winnipeg, MB
Oct 2, 2002 Winnipeg, MB
Nov 23, 2004 Winnipeg, MB
Jan 20, 2007 Winnipeg, MB
Sept 7, 2009 Winnipeg, MB
Sept 9, 2009 Winnipeg, MB
Sept 10, 2009 Winnipeg, MB
Sept 11, 2009 Winnipeg, MB
Jul 7, 2011 Winnipeg, MB
Dec 1, 2012 Fargo, ND
Jan 26, 2013 Winnipeg, MB
Jan 28, 2013 Brandon, MB
Feb 14, 2015 Winnipeg, MB
Aug 5, 2016 Winnipeg, MB
Posts: 1,515
Threads: 125
Joined: Feb 2004
Reputation:
0
Mine has been making some weird noises lately, like the dic is skipping or something...I don't know.
Posts: 980
Threads: 86
Joined: Nov 2002
Reputation:
0
I feel you pain, so does almost everyone else whos every owned a ps2 or xbox..(gamecubes dont break down as easy we have found) My ps2 turned into a lathe, it started making nice deep grooves in my disks!
On avg. at my store alone, around 5-10 people will either come in with a broken system wanting to trade it in, or ask us where to send them to get them fixed. Most of the time its the "disc read error"
BTW that webpage is a fantastic walk through for fixing your own ps2, and I have also heard that YOU SHOULD NOT PLAY DVD'S in your ps2. In a survey we did we found that 91% of broken ps2's were used to play dvd's. Why?? Well like it says in the article theres 4 types of disks for the laser to read...ps1,dvd,ps2 silver, ps2 blue. PS2 Blue is the hardest to read and is what we test all our systems with. The key to a longer ps2 life is to use as little as possible of the four disks.
Now opiated, you could always trade your broken system in at EB (soon to be Gamestop)i think you get like 30 bucks, and pick up a refurb for 149 and the 6 month warranty for 11 dollars. With the warranty you can actually bring back the ps2 inside every 6 months and pick up another one. Get another warranty at that time for $11 and repeat...you get a (sort of) new system every 6 months!!
The scary part is the fact that these next gen systems will be soooo expensive and there are going to be ppl who dont get the warranty and will be out $500+ after 3 months from microsoft if/once soemthing goes.
also i would imagine the ps3 to have the same problems since they are making it fully and completely backwards compatible.*sigh
Posts: 1,593
Threads: 154
Joined: Jun 2002
Reputation:
0
mine wouldn't read a new game i got world championship poker , went through 3 copies of the game broke down and got a new one so now have one downstairs and upstairs
when my ps1 was starting to act up playstion help desk told me to put the machine upside down when the game loads so the laser would be in the right place . after years of use the laser drops out of place . it worked for that system maybe this one too
Ron
Posts: 5,352
Threads: 277
Joined: Jun 2004
Reputation:
0
gratts99 Wrote:The scary part is the fact that these next gen systems will be soooo expensive and there are going to be ppl who dont get the warranty and will be out $500+ after 3 months from microsoft if/once soemthing goes.
I hear that, Ive learned my lesson, my ps2 had problems so I sold it and had to buy a new one, I bought an xbox last year, I kept getting error messages with that too, I sent it out and got it fixed for free thankfully. When I get my xbox360, I plan to buy the best warranty I can get, especially since I plan to invest at least $500-600 bucks. With new systems will come new problems, count on it. I just hope I get a good one this time.
Imagine a world before the "beginning was the word.”