Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Big Sugar - live Halifax, Sept 27
#1

I just got back from the very first Big Sugar concert I've ever seen - and, sadly, as well all know, the last I'll ever have the chance to! I have wanted to see them for sooo long, and I certainly wasn't disappointed. If they were continuing on, they might have become my very favourite live band! What a spectacular show.

I had the good fortune to happen to go to a show that is both a part of the "goodbye" tour AND the "Greatest Hits" tour...so it was packed with every one of my favourite songs. In fact, even with all the artists I like, this is the very first concert I've ever been to where all 10 songs I hoped they'd play were actually played.

After a frustratingly late start, and then a truly awful opening band (not the Trews like they used in the rest of Canada...why not??) things got off to a smashing start with Gordie (looking sharp in a black shirt and black cowboy hat, with a colourful Canada-themed guitar strap) slamming straight into songs like If I Had My Way and Diggin' a Hole. Everything was perfect - the guitar, the vocals, the harmonica...even the stage lighting. Too bad less than half the room was full, maybe 300 people at most. It was so loud that my ears instantly started ringing, but the music was more than enough to drown that out!

Later in the show, the band got a chance to stretch out with songs like Let It Ride, Turn the Lights On, and Better Get Used To It being reworked and loosened up a lot. Every musician had their moment to shine, and shine they all certainly did. Things then kicked back into ultra-high gear with The Scene, Open Up Baby, and Dear Mr. Fantasy. The encore contained the ONLY slow song of the night (I don't even know what it was) and was capped off with Ride Like Hell to end the night. All in all, a perfect 10 concert. I can't believe I'll never get to see them again!!

The evening was filled with interesting guitar techniques...it was thrilling when he threw his Gibson up over his head during O Canada to reveal a maple leaf emblazoned on the backside (while still playing), and using the mic stand as a bottleneck slide I've never seen done before. Oh, and the SLIDE - man, I knew this man was a wizard with a bottleneck, but I had never realized just how technical and lightning-quick his playing was! The man deserves to be a guitar god! And his songwriting is just brilliant - mixing in blues, hard rock, funk, reggae and southern roots music and still managing to sound completely original ain't easy. He's quite the entertainer - so many guitars, straps, and gadgets. Watching him fly back and forth between the double necks of his Gibson is awe-inspiring.

No pictures this time...I was going with a friend, and because there was a mandatory coat & bag check, I figured I'd never sneak a camera in. I kinda wish I had, because the lighting was so perfect and the crowd was so small, but it was nice to be able to relax and just enjoy the music in all its bombast and glory!
Reply
#2

i saw big sugar a few yers ago in university.

i walked out after 10 minutes. i couldn't stand it anymore
Reply
#3

Couldn't stand what?? The music or the volume? I saw a bunch of people grooving in the hallway leading to the room, and it took me the longest time to realise they loved the music, but couldn't take the volume. I am still working on reduced hearing.
Reply
#4

I saw them last time they came to Halifax. My ears hurt for 2 days. They where OK live.

I need 2 Kingston Tickets, please help.
Reply
#5

5727 Wrote:Couldn't stand what?? The music or the volume? I saw a bunch of people grooving in the hallway leading to the room, and it took me the longest time to realise they loved the music, but couldn't take the volume. I am still working on reduced hearing.

i can't stand the music, the volume and even more so, Gordie Johnson. i never seen a man so full of himself.
Reply
#6

mark Wrote:
5727 Wrote:Couldn't stand what?? The music or the volume? I saw a bunch of people grooving in the hallway leading to the room, and it took me the longest time to realise they loved the music, but couldn't take the volume. I am still working on reduced hearing.

i can't stand the music, the volume and even more so, Gordie Johnson. i never seen a man so full of himself.

You sure? What about Raine Maida? Confusedcratch: :lol:,
He sickens me he is so full of it. :twisted:
Sorry to offend anyone who dosn't agree.
Reply
#7

I saw Big Sugar during Canadian Music Week here in Toronto a couple of years back. Their performance really didn't impress me. And what is the point of having the amps turned to 15? Confusedcratch: It was the loudest show I've ever been to; with the exception of SarsStock where they were trying to fill an airfield!! Not a small club.

Gordie Johnson seemed more interested in how he looked in his new Hugo Boss suit (he is one of their paid models/public figures) than how he performed.


chris
Reply
#8

I was never impressed with them live. When I was in undergrad at Queen's they seemed to play in the city every other month and tickets were given away for free. I went once and didn't last long. However, some of their songs are pretty good.
Reply
#9

I'll back you up on them 5727. I've seen them 3 times as a whole group and once accoustic with just Gordie and the harmonica player (can't remember his name at the moment). I was very impressed each time. They are extremly loud, but it is a rock show after all and I found that even with the volume it was very clean. Wearing ear plugs helps out a lot too.

As for Gordie being full of himself, I didn't get the same opinion and in fact to me he seemed very down to earth especially during the accoustic set. It was a very small venue maybe 200 people and he spent time interacting with the crowed and having a good time.

In my books they put on a great rock and roll show. :thumb:
Reply
#10

I just caught up after losing power from the storm...I'm really surprised to read that some people think they're full of themselves...I didn't know about the suit thing, but even so, I didn't think they seemed that way. For one thing, Gordie was casually dressed in a black shirt, jean jacket and white cowboy hat. I enjoyed it. I think the ONLY pretentious thing about them is they do the ONE thing I absolutely cannot stand - they have nicknames. When they were "introduced" in the encore, Gordie referred to them as things liek "Dr. Gee" and "Speed Stick". I HATE it when musicians, or athletes, or actors give themselves absurd nicknames. It sounds ridiculous.

But I DEFINITELY have to agree that it was too loud. I was in a tiny room, not even as big as a full size club, and it was earsplitting. I would have enjoyed it more if I was wearing earplugs. Glad someone enjoys them as much as I do...too bad so many people don't. Confusedcratch: Confusedcratch: Confusedcratch: I think it's awesome blues-infused hard rock.

Gordie's going down to Texas now to work with, among other people, Double Trouble (SRV's former band). Good luck to him!!
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)