Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

World Container Lyrics
#31

colin Wrote:Did anyone else notice that the first few lines of "The kids don't get it" and "Pretend" are almost identical?

what about silimarity in this line between pretend and family band?

Family Band Wrote:What's grippin the city ain't hittin the town

Pretend Wrote:It’s gripping the city and hitting the town
Reply
#32

And "I'll be grippin' the city, I'll be hittin' the town" in The Kids.
Reply
#33

Like Gord has said, this album was written more with his heart than his head. The lyrics are definitely not the usual poetic, cryptic passages from Gord. The lyrics aren't the strong part of this album but Gord's delivery definitely is the strong part.
Reply
#34

colin Wrote:Did anyone else notice that the first few lines of "The kids don't get it" and "Pretend" are almost identical?

Kids:
"You said, ‘If I ask you a question,
are you gonna lie to me?’
I said, ‘honey, is that your question?
cuz honey, that one’s easy’ "

Pretend
"If I ask you a question
are you going to lie to me?
Is that your question?
Because that one is easy "

Interesting...

Similar to "your fingers start to wiggle/landscapes emerge" which recurs in DFN and "house is solitude with options/artificial chaos" from PP. I like how it ties the songs together on the album.
Reply
#35

I was looking through The Hipeponymous book and i noticed that theres some of the lyrics to World Container,and Last Night I dreamed You Didnt Love Me i though it was interesting..sorry if it has already been posted somewhere..
Reply
#36

i think "Darkly nurtured dreams" are mentioned in "We're the Next Us" too, i think.
Reply
#37

Corby Wrote:
colin Wrote:Did anyone else notice that the first few lines of "The kids don't get it" and "Pretend" are almost identical?

what about silimarity in this line between pretend and family band?

Family Band Wrote:What's grippin the city ain't hittin the town

Pretend Wrote:It’s gripping the city and hitting the town

This happened on DFN too. The "finger starts to wiggle and landscapes emerge" line ended up in Emergency and Impossibilium.

Jeff

June 21, 2003 Toronto, ON: SkyDome
July 1, 2004 Toronto, ON: Molson Amphitheatre
November 26, 2004 Toronto, ON: Air Canada Centre
June 24, 2006 Toronto, ON: Historic Fort York
May 10, 2007 Indianapolis, IN: The Vogue
July 14, 2011 Edmonton, AB: Northlands Festival Site
June 30, 2012 Niagara-on-the-Lake, ON: The Commons at Butler's Barracks
January 23, 2013 Edmonton, AB: Rexall Place
July 28, 2016 Edmonton, AB: Rexall Place
Reply
#38

I think the lyric in Fly is as follows:

I fly, cause there’s no way I'm getting beaten up by
a guy who cries before he fights
Reply
#39

Bump, sorry it was on the 3rd page....

I will not give up. My face is set,my gait is fast,my goal is heaven,my road is narrow,my way is rough,my companions are few,my guide is reliable,my mission is clear. I cannot be bought,compromised,detoured,lured away,turned back,diluted or delayed. I will not flinch in the face of sacrifice,hesitate in the presence of adversity,negotiate at the table of the enemy,ponder at the pool of popularity,or meander in the maze of mediocrity. I will not give up,shut up or slow down....Blessed Be!
Reply
#40

worldpeace Wrote:The Drop Off

The best part of life is by measured by gut and the past is meant to please us
johnny's been murdered, the kids are like shit saying 'holy f*ck it's Jesus'
The surface is green and the dark and the weeds and the lonely irredecence
terribly deep and the cold is complete and only lacks your presence and nothing else


From The Booklet with Album:

The fates are amok and spun, measured and cut and the past is meant to please us
Yer a comet from earth in a Kiss Alive T-shirt, saying "Holy Fuck its Jesus"
The surface is green and the dark interweaves in the lonely irredecence
It's terribly deep and the cold is complete and it only lacks a presence and nothing else.
Reply
#41

Sorry guys, didn't see the updated lyrics on the 2nd page.
Reply
#42

Ok, so I have a 2 month old baby who likes to cry when I'm watching stuff on TV. I recorded the Hip on the Hour and then watched it with the closed captioning on.

The following are the closed captioners take on the lyrics. Some are pretty funny, so I thought I'd share:

Lonely End of The Rink:

I looked up
You were there
Just sitting there alone
Over there
Sitting there
Like a beauty on your own
Your drove me home
Threw a snowy through
I fell asleep
I had the dream of having no room
You were there just staring at me
You and me
You and me
Lower your voice
Across the frozen lake
A voice from the end of a lead
Saying you won't die of a thousand plagues
Or get eaten by the sweetest of bees [no word of a lie]
At the lonely end of the range
You and me
At the lonely end of the rink
You and me
Off to join the rough
As the seasons ends
Come into the rough
As the season ends
You drove me home through a snowy tomb
And I feel asleep in my seat
I had the dream of having no room
You were there staring at me
At the lonely end of the rink
You and me
The lonely end of the rink

Yer Not the Ocean:

Can't talk to the face
Standing on the rock
You're not the ocean
I'd better watch
Threatening
Oh, stranger in the crowd
Been a wild one out
You're not the ocean
You're not the ocean
You're not even close
Though you think and feel
Get out of your own way
No, I'm not that
You were just a lake
They say that
Take and take and take
You're not the ocean
You're not the ocean
You're not even close
You're not the ocean
You're not the ocean
You're not coming through
You're not coming up
You're not coming up
You're not coming up
You're not the ocean
You're up to my chin
You're not the ocean
You're not coming in
You're not coming in
You're not coming in

In View:

I love you
You know I do
Yes, you heard that
I've been meaning to call you
I've been meaning to call you
And I do
I've been meaning to call you
I've been meaning to call you
And I do
Don't ring twice
Phone rings three times
I love you
And everything you do
I do
I hurt you
That makes you blue [new complexion on the whole song]
I don't care
It is just the way it is
I've been meaning to call you
I've been meaning to call you
And I do
Phone rings once
Phone rings twice
Phone rings three times
I, I love you
You are always in view
I, I am mad about you [new theme song for Paul Reiser/Helen Hunt?]
You and everything you do
I do
I do
I do
I, I am mad about you
I, I am mad about you
And everything I do

World Container:

There's a world container
With your name on it
And a billion ways to go berserk
When the country quits on you
It must be dinner
And the himler of this one
Is no dessert
He's the one who couldn't imagine
All the people living life in peace
You good new
You get diminished
The good news is now you're smaller
The bad news is you can be smaller than that
Go suck some soul
Be a reader
Get used
Laugh at a funeral or two
Laugh and laugh
Until all the millions are black
Laugh and laugh
Till, till your toes don't come back [I burst out laughing]
They say prejudice
I just can't believe
How did I get this way so early
Ain't life grand
I'm in awe of you all
Drop into your haunted boat
Go to your judgment
Go down where the waters are
Don't pass this point
And watch out
They're all from wrecks
That all you've done for
Yeah
That's all you stood for
Your inbased president
Said I can't believe
How did this get this way so early
Ain't life grand
I'm in awe of you all
I dropped into my haunted bunk
I rest queued the judgment
Down where the waters are
I went past the no tracks past this point sign
And what we have here
Are all from grass
We're all for one song
And that song is don't forget

The Kids Don't Get It:

You said if I ask you a question
Are you going to lie to me
I just asked you a question
But honey that was easy
That's the truth
Just don't muster it
Kids don't get it
Kids don't get it
I'm going to be an expert stranger
Better than the giant squid [If that wasn't the actual lyric, I'd be making fun of this too]
I'm going to leave them stranger experts
Scratching their heads saying
How had he do that
Whatever the truth is
Just don't order it
Kids don't get it
Kids won't get it
No easy answers
And I'll be the right way
And I'll be forever to that way
That's right
Kids don't get it
I'll feel more than human
When the work gets home
I'll be aped by my ancestors
Save the planet my own
I'll be missing the kitty [another audible guffaw]
I'll be hitting the town
You'll stay and be heard a few ditties
When I come around
I'll be as careless
As you are certain
I'll get out of my own
I'll stop to cry into the curtain
Like the great before me go unsaid
And if that's true
Good enough for you
Kids don't get it
They ask you questions
They don't bother me
Oh honey is that your yes
Because that won't even
That one's easy
Kids don't get it
How hard it is
Kids don't get it
Just how much there is.

Family Band (the captioner kind threw in the towel on this one):

My mind doesn't work so bad
But I am a poor exterminator
I can't destroy entirely
Or annihilate a little later
I can't save appear entire city
But I'm not a bad exterminator
I'm just -- [gave up on the fast parts and never got it back]
One day makes rock and roll
I'm going to get all the children involved
We're going to get lost
Small group of people smoking
I get the kicks from loading
Into the back seat
Followed if down
Don't unload it

They also did MMAW, but I didn't have the patience for it.

I'll be missing the kitty,
ct
Reply
#43

Chris Tanz Wrote:Ok, so I have a 2 month old baby who likes to cry when I'm watching stuff on TV. I recorded the Hip on the Hour and then watched it with the closed captioning on.

The following are the closed captioners take on the lyrics. Some are pretty funny, so I thought I'd share:

Now we know why they didn't broadcast The Drop Off. The closed captioner didn't stand a chance!
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)