Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Ashley MacIssac to run for Liberal leadership
#16

prz Wrote:Second, I dont want to hear about the Liberal Policy of Human Security. If the Liberals were for it like you said, why wasnt anything done in the Sudan? You know as well as anyone else people were being wiped out. Instead of Canada, France and Germany doing anything about it, they spent so much time attacking the US for its invasion of Iraq. Why didn't they get together something together and help Sudan? Where was this help in 1999 after the election in East Timor? Canada could of went and helped?

Reason is they cant. Canada and Europe, save and except for the Brits, cannot deploy/project a large scale military force abroad. Even the Brits who are more advanced than most have trouble working on the same level with the US.

Look at the Balkans before NATO got involved, the UN was lost and couldnt get anything done.

So its great the liberals have a policy of helping those who are fragile in the world, but unless you have a military force to go in there and help those people, the soft power stuff is useless. You need a combo of both

I think you just made my point. Iggy favours the Responsibility To Protect, he'd have backed an invasion, any type of invasion to do something about the Sudan, so would I. That's why I want him in the top job. I would have supported sending our troops under US or UN auspices to the Sudan in 2002, forget about 2004 or 2005 when it was already too late.

As a matter of fact, I think his international/foreign policy stance is going to be a strength. He'd be the kind of guy pleading with the UN to do something, and unafraid to commit our troops to the best of their abilities. His ideal role for Canada in the world, is a return to the Pearsonian era of diplomacy and peace keeping... so that it can once again be more than just a myth.
Reply
#17

For those who care, some observations from the Sheila Copps deal in Toronto on Thursday night:

- Gerard Kennedy became the front runner over night. He owned the room, entering with three beautiful young women and three GQ lookin' dudes who worked the room for him and handled the hordes of people and press that wanted to get near him. Once you got to him, it was hard not to be impressed. He's perfectly bi-lingual and incredibly friendly and engaging. The guy knows the retail aspect better than anyone. He's got serious lefty-credentials, and a lot of charm and brain power. Made me nervous about my guy, but I certainly wouldn't mind him jumping to the federal scene. Serious threat.

- Ashley McIsaac is no laughing stock. I missed him, but apparently, he showed up ready to go with stances and staff. Next to Rick Mercer and maybe John Turner, he was the biggest celebrity in the room. He's determined to be taken seriously.

- Bob Rae has a huge head.

- Ken Dryden has huge hands and was more than willing to engage in a campaign high five. The guy will be tough to beat when he talks about Canadiana stuff... he spoke in sound bites, but they're the kinda thing that make you wanna stand up and sing the anthem. He was actually able to squeeze "I've been defending Canadian goals for forty years..." into a sentence and it didn't seem corny.

- Scott Brison is the most affable guy in the world. He'll be the "I'd like to have a beer with that guy" candidate. He jokes about everything, from his sexual orientation to the fact that he used to run marathons while smoking. Stories galore. The kind of guy who remembers everybody's name and info, hard to root against him. Didn't have any stock tips for me.

- Stephane Dion laughed when my buddy told him he was seriously considering having the Clarity Act tattooed on his back... If only Stephane knew he wasn't kidding. His English is fine BTW, something the media needs to let-up on.

- Belinda no-showed, and I noticed a serious "Anybody But Stronach" theme among many of the Chretien era folks.

- Iggy looked shy for most of the night, but is getting better at the shaking hands and kissing babies stuff.

- I'm pretty sure Joe Volpe could kick my ass with both hands tied behind his back.

- Aline Chretien stole the show. She's so tiny, graceful and adorable. She spoke in four languages during her speech and then joked that her husband spoke only one: "his own." Really creepy watching how she and the Turner's wouldn't even look at each other, at one point, the RCMP guy steered her away from them. Old grudges die very, very hard in politics I guess.
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)