Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Science v. Religion
#16

schaggs Wrote:Religion's origins date back to well before we began documenting events.
Initially, when the knowledge base was low, people began worshipping many gods. Every object, living or dead, had a spirit inside.

As organized science began, it became known that similar objects behaved the same, and there was a paradigm shift in the way people think. Now, while there were still many Gods, there was one for every tree, and one for every Rock, etc.

When science progressed, specifically into physics and chemistry, groups of objects behaved in the same way, or in closely related ways, and organized religion again shortened it's list of Gods.

As the knowledge base expands, the number of Gods worshipped by the people decreases.

What science can not explain is always credited by the church to intelligent design.... But, while science has proved billions of things about the physical world that are no longer attributed to intelligent design, science cannot yet prove the existance or non-existance of a divine being.

While this will sound harsh, and I don't mean it as a jab to those who are religious... I can argue for the merits of religion as well......
Religion is a cop-out. Things attributed to a divine being are attributed that way because people are afraid to say "I don't know".

Ya, that pretty much nails it.
Reply
#17

scottitude Wrote:The best argument I've heard is that if the theory of Intelligent Design is to be taught in public schools..."so everyone understands the debate", then the science of Evolution must be taught in Sunday school and other religious "learning environments" for the same reason.

I disagree. While I don't think religion should be integrated into schools, I don't think the theory of evolution should be taught in church either.

Sure, there's the age-old argument that children should be shown both sides, and then decide for themself. But the truth is, there's a lot more than two sides. If a church had to focus its energy to display every side of everything they wouldn't have enough time to explain their own beliefs.

Church is something that you seek for yourself outside of school. However, a lot of people don't explore it because it isn't mandatory, like education.
Reply
#18

FighterAndLover Wrote:
scottitude Wrote:The best argument I've heard is that if the theory of Intelligent Design is to be taught in public schools..."so everyone understands the debate", then the science of Evolution must be taught in Sunday school and other religious "learning environments" for the same reason.

I disagree. While I don't think religion should be integrated into schools, I don't think the theory of evolution should be taught in church either.

Sure, there's the age-old argument that children should be shown both sides, and then decide for themself. But the truth is, there's a lot more than two sides. If a church had to focus its energy to display every side of everything they wouldn't have enough time to explain their own beliefs.

Church is something that you seek for yourself outside of school. However, a lot of people don't explore it because it isn't mandatory, like education.

You missed the point.
Reply
#19

beanmedic Wrote:You missed the point.

I understood his point, I'm just saying there's a difference between mandatory learning and going out of your way to learn something. Thanks for being polite about it, though. :roll:
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)