Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Using Hipbase to influence the band
#16

I haven't said one single thing in here that I wouldn't say right to one of the band member's face. Maybe that makes me a geek but I stand by my opinions;

1. IVL sucked
2. Gord's solos rocked
3. They need to bring back some oldies
4. Fire the dude running the official site and
5. Check out my site (Ha ha)

I think they like the fact that they have fans (especially that they have nuts that are trying to compile a site full of rants and on-stage poetics, lol). I know I would. And I think that the Hip would want to hear the honest opinions of the fans as to what they're doing etc.

Don't friggin sugar-coat it to kiss-ass.
Y'know, it's a good life if...
Reply
#17

K-Town Lassie Wrote:
Quote:I don't consider it bashing the guy. People were just giving their opinions on his style of drumming and expertise on the drums. I think everyone agrees that Johnny is a good drummer and we all love the Hip. Johnny himself will tell people he isn't the best drummer in rock. The discussion wasn't meant as an attack or anything, just opinions.

As I said earlier, I was harsh in my use of the term "bashing". To be honest, I rarely post anything that could be considered inflammatory, so your reaction caught me off guard. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. I'm cool with that. It's all good.

Big Grin

Yep Ktown you've pretty darned harmless. Unless of course you're stalking Johnny. Then stay out of her way folks! :lol: :lol:
Reply
#18

I think it's in our best interest to make comments about the band... We are their customers. I know it's a hard concept to comprehend when used in terms of musicians and fans, but it's the way that it is. If you have a complaint about any product that you buy, there is a customer service phone number / website / location that you can go to voice your concerns / complaints / suggestions. Why should a band be any different? Because they are musicians and you can't have any questions about art? I think it's important for musicians to realize that the fans deserve to have some form of input into what they do. Forums like this and threads like this give fans a real link to the bands that they love. A link that has never existed before. Now, fans have an opportunity to say what they like and what they don't like. If an artist has the right to do whatever it is that he/she/they want, then these discussions will not affect their work. The point of the posts isn't to make the band change what they do. The Hip shouldn't mold their shows to what the fans want or mold their music to what their fans suggest. They should continue to play the music that they want to make for as long as they choose to, but to say that the fans can't voice their displeasure or concerns on this site for fear that the band might get mad is just silly. I buy the CDs, I go to the shows, I'm anxiously awaiting the day when the live shows are sold online like Gord's solo shows...but I feel like I have a right to tell the band when I'm unhappy with something. After all, it IS my hard-earned money.
Reply
#19

scrasch Wrote:...but to say that the fans can't voice their displeasure or concerns on this site for fear that the band might get mad is just silly.

Who said this? Confusedcratch:

My point for this thread was to say, continue to discuss the band, the music, etc, but please stop censoring what you say, because a band member may read it. And don't post song requests directed to the band. There are more creative ways to go about it, like the poll of what song people would really like to hear in Kingston.

And I have no issue with the band getting mad as a result of our comments (and to imply that they have nothing better to do with their time than get mad at what fans post about them on a message board, now that's just silly!)
Reply
#20

to scrasch...
I would agree completely, as consumers, we're completely within our rights to put out our opinions about what we like & what we don't like. If I want to request a song to played at a show, that's within my right to...

I'd just suggest to anybody who wants to put forward this effort, that e-mailing the Hip directly (<!-- e --><a href="mailto:tth@thehip.com">tth@thehip.com</a><!-- e -->) is probably a better place to start, instead of posting it here.

That said... please play The Completists in Burlington...

Kidding!
Reply
#21

:lol: !!!!!!

you guys should see the widespread panic message board !!! people over there are NUTS... maybe, I have just been over there too long trading music and see this form of critism or debate as incredibly mild compared to panic nuts.... (if your not familar, they lost a founder/lead guitarist to cancer in 02... one of the biggest touring bands in the US, top live act fro 16+ years... they didn't miss a beat after his death, a old friend filled the lead spot, however the critism is harsh and abundant... its seems EVERY post on that board is directed at forcing a lineup change in the band... with fosters enormous rumors that jimmy herring (of the dead, jazz is dead, phil lesh and friends) will join panic after its hiatus in 05...)


so, in the context of my experience with spreadheads and spreadnecks.... hip fans over here are quite cordial and mild with their dislikes or critism....

just my 2 cents :wink:
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)