Posts: 1,143
Threads: 27
Joined: Jul 2004
Reputation:
0
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://popmatters.com/music/reviews/t/tragicallyhip-inbetween.shtml">http://popmatters.com/music/reviews/t/t ... ween.shtml</a><!-- m -->
Posts: 2,367
Threads: 143
Joined: Jul 2002
Reputation:
0
Uh...."Written in response to a British Columbian bridge that collapsed last year and claimed a number of lives, "Vaccination Scar" boasts some of Downie's most sublime imagery"????
What the hell is that?
Tacoma Narrows is in Washington State and nobody was killed when it fell, just one dog in a car stuck on the bridge. Does anybody know about another bridge that fell in BC? I don't remember hearing about it...and regardless whether there was one or not, this has to be the most ludicrous explanation ever for this song. It was most certainly not written in response to a bridge collapse! It says "we" went down LIKE the TN bridge...clearly the subject is "we", the object is "the bridge".
Posts: 4,352
Threads: 136
Joined: Jul 2004
Reputation:
0
yeah, not to mention he canned Heaven Is A Better Place Today, the best track on the album!
Posts: 1,143
Threads: 27
Joined: Jul 2004
Reputation:
0
That part didn't make much sense to me either.
Posts: 20
Threads: 1
Joined: Nov 2002
Reputation:
0
I believe the "we" refers to the poor folks who were in the car that fell into the river under the Rutherford Bridge killing four.
GD writing in 3rd person again.
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.com/index.cfm?PgNm=TCE&Params=A1ARTM0012527">http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.com/ ... RTM0012527</a><!-- m -->
Posts: 2,367
Threads: 143
Joined: Jul 2002
Reputation:
0
Oh...I heard about that...I thought it referred to people stuck on a bridge when it collapsed. I'm still not sure I believe THAT bridge has anything to do with the song though...
Posts: 622
Threads: 53
Joined: Aug 2002
Reputation:
0
I think the band knows what they write their songs about...