Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Happy Canada Day !
#16

Quote:Only 12 beer and you have a hangover? Damn...Those Canucks can't hold their liquor...Wink

First of all I ran out of beer.(which was good) Secondly I was just dizzy and tired , from the Salmon I ate .Thirdly I didn't get sick , so yes I held my liquor . :wink:
Reply
#17

Quote:Secondly I was just dizzy and tired , from the Salmon I ate .

Does that always happen when you eat Salmon? :?
Reply
#18

1967
Chief Dan George (Teswahno) 1899 -
Lament for Confederation
July 1, 1967
Empire Stadium, Vancouver BC



<http://www.canadahistory.com/_themes/canadahistory/alearule.gif>

How long have I known you, Oh Canada? A hundred years? Yes, a hundred years. And many many seelanum [lunar months] more. And today, when you celebrate your hundred years, Oh Canada, I am sad for all the Indian people throughout the land.

For I have known you when your forests were mine; when they gave me my meat and my clothing. I have known you in your streams and rivers where your fish flashed and danced in the sun, where the waters said come, come and eat of my abundance. I have known you in the freedom of your winds. And my spirit, like the winds, once roamed your good lands.

But in the long hundred years since the white man came, I have seen my freedom disappear like the salmon going mysteriously out to sea. The white man's strange customs which I could not understand pressed down upon me until I could no longer breathe.

When I fought to protect my land and my home, I was called a savage. When I neither understood nor welcomed this way of life, I was called lazy. When I tried to rule my people, I was stripped of my authority.

My nation was ignored in your history textbooks -- they were little more important in the history of Canada than the buffalo that ranged the plains. I was ridiculed in your plays and motion pictures, and when I drank your fire-water, I got drunk - very, very drunk. And I forgot.

Oh Canada, how can I celebrate with you this Centenary, this hundred years? Shall I thank you for the reserves that are left to me of my beautiful forests? For the canned fish of my rivers? For the loss of my pride and authority, even among my own people? For the lack of my will to fight back? No! I must forget what's past and gone.

Oh God in Heaven! Give me back the courage of the olden Chiefs. Let me wrestle with my surroundings. Let me again, as in the days of old, dominate my environment. Let me humbly accept this new culture and through it rise up and go on.

Oh God! Like the Thunderbird of old I shall rise again out of the sea; I shall grab the instruments of the white man's success -- his education, his skills, and with these new tools I shall build my race into the proudest segment of your society.

Before I follow the great Chiefs who have gone before us, Oh Canada, I shall see these things come to pass. I shall see our young braves and our chiefs sitting in the houses of law and government, ruling and being ruled by the knowledge and freedoms of our great land.

So shall we shatter the barriers of our isolation. So shall the next hundred years be the greatest in the proud history of our tribes and nations.

I will not give up. My face is set,my gait is fast,my goal is heaven,my road is narrow,my way is rough,my companions are few,my guide is reliable,my mission is clear. I cannot be bought,compromised,detoured,lured away,turned back,diluted or delayed. I will not flinch in the face of sacrifice,hesitate in the presence of adversity,negotiate at the table of the enemy,ponder at the pool of popularity,or meander in the maze of mediocrity. I will not give up,shut up or slow down....Blessed Be!
Reply
#19

Major Inventions
D.D. Palmer was born near Port Perry, Ontario in 1845 and performed his invention - the first chiropractic adjustment - in Davenport, Iowa in 1895.


Frederick Creed, a native of Mill Village, Nova Scotia, devised a high-speed Morse code printer around 1895.


The first radio telegraphic message was received by Guglielmo Marconi on Signal Hill in St. John's, Newfoundland in 1901.


The first long-distance telephone calls were made by Alexander Graham Bell between the Ontario communities of Mount Pleasant and Brantford, and between Brantford and Paris, in 1876.


The first geostationary domestic telecommunications satellite in the world was the Anik-A1 in 1972.


The world's first commercial fibre optics telecommunications network was the 3268 kilometres system created by SaskTel in Saskatchewan in 1982.


The first advertising film ever made, which promoted job opportunities and land on the Prairies to potential emigrants from Great Britain, was made by James Freer of Manitoba in 1897.


The world's first documentary film was Nanook of the North, which was shot in Canada by Robert Flaherty in 1922.


Kerosene was developed by Abraham Gesner of Cornwallis, Nova Scotia, and its lighting properties were demonstrated in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, in 1846.


Henry Woodward of Toronto invented the first electric light bulb in 1874. He later sold a share in his patent to Thomas Edison, who designed a more practical bulb in 1879.


Arthur Sicard of Saint-LMonard, Quebec, made the first snowblower.


The green plastic garbage bag was invented by Harry Wasyluk of Winnipeg, and by Larry Hanson at the Union Carbide plant in Lindsay, Ontario, in the 1950s.


The greatest contribution to nuclear theory at a Canadian university was Ernest Rutherford's theory of atomic structure, which he developed while at McGill University in 1902. It earned him the Nobel Prize in 1908.


The first practical electron microscope in North America was made at the University of Toronto in the late 1930s by physics professor Eli Franklin Burton and his students Cecil Hall, James Hillier and Albert Prebus.


Dr. Lorne Elias of the National Research Council invented the explosives vapour detector, capable of sniffing out hidden bombs, in 1990.


The cobalt "bomb" for cancer treatment was developed by scientists from Eldorado Nuclear in London, Ontario, and by Dr Harold E. Johns of the University of Saskatchewan in 1951.


The first frozen food sold to the public was Ice Fillets frozen fish, which went on sale in Halifax, Nova Scotia in 1929.


The antigravity suit, a pressurized flying suit and forerunner of the space suit, was invented by W.R. Franks at the University of Toronto in 1940.


The world's most popular sailboat, the Laser, was designed by Bruce Kirby, Ian Bruce and Hans Fogh in Montreal in 1969. Tens of thousands have been built throughout the world.


J.J. Wright of Toronto built the first electric railway with overhead wires with an electric pole connected to the car to avoid the rain and snow which frequently short-circuited streetcar rails.


Hockey is known to have been played in Halifax and Kingston in the 1850s. The first public exhibition of the modern game took place at the Victoria Rink in Montreal in 1875.


Basketball was invented by James Naismith of Almonte, Ontario, and first played at Springfield, Massachusetts, where Naismith was a physical education instructor, in 1892.


Five-pin bowling was invented by T.E. Ryan of Toronto in 1909.


The first football game was played in Montreal, with Montreal beating Harvard.


The first baseball game was played in Beachville, Ontario, more than a year before Abner Doubleday "invented" the game in Cooperstown, New York. I realize that this issue may be controversial, so read the whole story on this issue.


Universal Standard Time, which divides the world into 24 time zones, was devised by Canadian engineer Sandford Fleming in 1879.


Norman Bethune of Gravenhurst, Ontario, devised the first mobile blood transfusion service (in Spain in 1936) and the first mobile medical unit (in China in 1938).


Since 1981, Canadarm (or Schuttle Remote Manipulator System) has become widely known around the world.


In the 1930s, three Canadian doctors developed Pablum, the world's first precooked cereal.


The paintroller was invented by Norman Breakey of Toronto in 1940.


The world's first electronic organ was invented by Morse Robb of Belleville, Ontario in 1927.


Doctors Frederick Banting and Charles Best, both of Ontario, discovered insulin in 1921.


In 1964, Dr. Gustave Gingras perfected the workings of the artificial hand activated by the body's own electrical impluses.


Lesser Known Inventions

acrylics

Actar 911 CPR Dummy

air-conditioned vehicle

aircraft de-icer

apple pie
avro arrow

Balderdash

batteryless radio

bovril

butter substitute

carbide and acetylene

cardiac intensive care unit (first)

cardiac pacemaker

CL-415 firefighting amphibious aircraft
Coffee Crisp
commercial radio station (first)

compound revolving snow shovel (trains)

computerized braille

Crispy Crunch
dental mirror

disintegrating plastic

ear piercer

electric cooking range

electrical car (North America's first)

film developing tank

goalie mask

hair tonic

heart valve operation (first)

helicopter trap (for landing on ships)

helium as a substitute for hydrogen in airships

hydrofoil

IMAX

instant potato flakes

Jetline

jolly jumper

liposomes

machine gun tracer bullet

MacPherson gas mask

measure for footwear

Muskol

newsprint

panoramic camera

Phi (position homing indicator for aircraft)

pizza pizza telephone computer delivery services

portable high chair

Puzz-3D

radio compass

retractable beer carton handle

rollerskate

screw propeller

ski-binding

Smarties
snowmobile

spring ice skate

steam foghorn

Stanley Cup

Stol

submarine telegraph cable

Superman

table hockey

Trivial Pursuit

variable Pitch Propeller

washing machine

wirephoto

zipper


Sorry for the length.
Reply
#20

Kim Wrote:
Quote:Secondly I was just dizzy and tired , from the Salmon I ate .

Does that always happen when you eat Salmon? :?



Like Storm , I blame my hangovers on what I ate . :wink:
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)