Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Latest Credit Card Scam
#1

Pulled this from another message board
*******************************************

Subject: Telephone Fraud Very Active...

Those con artists get more creative every day. My husband was called on Wednesday from "VISA", and I was called on Thursday from "MasterCard". The scam works like this:

Person calling says, "this is , and I'm calling from the Security and Fraud Department at VISA. My Badge number is 12460. Your card has been flagged for an unusual purchase pattern, and I'm calling to verify. This would be on your VISA card which was issued by bank. Did you purchase an Anti-Telemarketing Device for $497.99 from a marketing company based in Arizona?"

When you say "No", the caller continues with, "Then we will be issuing a credit to your account. This is a company we have been watching and the charges range from $297 to $497, just under the $500 purchase pattern that flags most cards. Before your next statement, the credit will be sent to (gives you your address), is that correct?"

You say "yes". The caller continues... "I will be starting a Fraud investigation. If you have any questions, you should call the 1-800 number listed on the back of your card (1-800-VISA) and ask for Security. You will need to refer to this control #"

The caller then gives you a 6 digit number. "Do you need me to read it again?"

Here's the IMPORTANT part on how the scam works.

The caller then says, "he needs to verify you are in possession of your card". He'll ask you to "turn your card over and look for some numbers. There are 7 numbers; the first 4 are your card number, the! next 3 are the 'Security Numbers' that verify you are in possession of the card. These are the numbers you use to make Internet purchases to prove you have the card.

"Read me the 3 numbers". After you tell the caller the 3 numbers, he'll say ,"That is correct. I just needed to verify that the card has not been lost or stolen, and that you still have your card. Do you have any other questions?"

After you say No, the caller then Thanks you and states, "Don't hesitate to call back if you do", and hangs up.

You actually say very little, and they never ask for or tell you the card number. But after we were called on Wednesday, we called back within 20 minutes to ask a question. Are we glad we did! The REAL VISA Security Department told us it was a scam and in the last 15 minutes a new purchase of $497.99 was charge on our card. Long story made short, we made a real fraud report and closed the VISA card, and they are reissuing us a new number.

What the scammers wants is the 3-digit PIN number on the back of the card. Don't give it to them. Instead, tell them you'll call VISA or Master card direct. The real VISA told us that they will never ask for anything on the card as they already know the information since they issued the card! If you give the scammers your 3 Digit PIN Number, you think you're receiving a credit. However, by the time you get your statement, you'll see charges for purchases you didn't make, and by then it's almost to late and/or harder to actually file a fraud report.

What makes this more remarkable ! is that on Thursday, I got a call from a "Jason Richardson of MasterCard" with a word-for-word repeat of the VISA scam. This time I didn't let him finish. I hung up! We filed a police report, as instructed by VISA. The police said they are taking several of these reports daily!
Reply
#2

The evil that men do.......

I will not give up. My face is set,my gait is fast,my goal is heaven,my road is narrow,my way is rough,my companions are few,my guide is reliable,my mission is clear. I cannot be bought,compromised,detoured,lured away,turned back,diluted or delayed. I will not flinch in the face of sacrifice,hesitate in the presence of adversity,negotiate at the table of the enemy,ponder at the pool of popularity,or meander in the maze of mediocrity. I will not give up,shut up or slow down....Blessed Be!
Reply
#3

I gave 'em my credit card numbers... and if one of em's lucky: I win a prize!

I was just happy to talk to someone on the phone.
Reply
#4

The saving grace could be in something that they say...

"Read me the 3 numbers"......

If anyone gets a call and has any concerns regarding the validity of the caller, just remember the above quote. Tell the caller to read his info back to you and YOU will confirm if the number on the card is correct. True banking institutions have a record of all the numbers on your card.

I recently had my identity stolen and the first thing the lady at the bank told me was that they never call regarding info unless the account is already red-flagged, ie: id/credit stolen. If a legitmate banking institution does call, they will require your safeguard info (d.o.b. sin or even your mother's maiden name).

If anyone does call, never confirm anything. Instead, tell them you would like to set up a meeting at your branch with them or their supervisor. After hanging up, go, in person to the police and your financial institution. Also, call a credit/collection agency (the police can provide you with the names of these agencies), and report the incident. This way, if your card is abused in any way, you have a means to fight any unwanted charges that may appear on your bill.

This sounds like a lot of work I know, but trust me when I tell you it's worth it in the end.
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)