Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Where do the Hip go from Here??
#1

Ok, 20 years, great band, great friends, and obviously great music. Where do they go from here? The side/solo projects are starting, and it can be good or bad for the future of the band, guess we'll have to wait and see. I can't see egos getting in the way and the band splitting for solo reasons, but you never know. I admire that its been the same group of guys (more or less, sorry Davis) for all this time, they've stayed true to themselves, their families, their fans, and their music. Hell, I even admire that they stand on stage the same way every night. So what's next? How do they continue without getting stale? Musically? I would love to see Paul getting some songs with lead vocals. A la, Edge in U2 or Keith in the Stones, how about pianos/synths mixed in with the music?? Not sure who would play, but I don't want to see anyone else on stage. The fact they've played by themselves w/o session men on stage (except the odd Dan Akroyd/Los Lobos appearance/Kate/Chris appearance) is a testament to them and their musical ability. But can they keep it up? Do they stray from their "type of music"? I can't see them doing a "techno" album or "flavour of the month type of music" album, like U2 and their experiment with Pop Mart and Discotechque, but they tried to "tone it down" a bit with M@W and IVL, and it wasnt' met with much enthusiasm, except from us hardcore fans, which is all their concerned about, which is why we love them so much, so in my best Axl Rose voice, "Where do we go now???"
Reply
#2

I cant see they're music changing too much, like with synths and keyboards and the whatnot, and I hope they dont. There has always been a natural progression with their music and I like where its going, IBE was an amazing album and clearly showed they are not slowing down or getting stale at all. Where do they go now? I guess after the G.Hits/DVD drops they will finish the album they are currently working on and will tour next year, and keep on rocking! As for down the road, who knows? Im not one to speculate, people change, circumstances change, so who really can say what they will be doing in the next 10 years? I just hope they stay together as long as they can health and family willing, and go out on a high note. I dont see tragedy befalling this band.

Imagine a world before the "beginning was the word.”
Reply
#3

The Hip aren't U2; they've never stood for 'concepts' and playing around with their basic sound (their evolution seems to have been gradual and unplanned, quite different from U2's conscious attempts to shape-shift and experiment). I doubt that'll change. Also, Downie has often compared the band to the bluesmen of old, who kept playing the same basic kind of music until they shuffled off this mortal coil. As long as the music remains vibrant and committed, I see no harm in that.

However, I WOULD like to seem them, at some point, develop the muscular acoustic sound on display in tunes like 'Scared', 'Fiddler's Green' and 'Ahead by A Century.' These are some of their best songs, and it seems to me that one way of growing old gracefully would be to carry that further. I don't necessarily mean a 'Hip Unplugged' CD, just a more thoroughgoing exploration of those woody dynamics. Hopefully, the spankings they received for the IVL and M@W won't deter them from following that muse if it calls to them.
Reply
#4

Call me crazy, but I think Gord's solo projects (and Gord S's producing gigs and Robbie's upcoming solo project) help infuse more creativity and desire to keep making music together by giving them an creative control outlet that is not possible in the band. Everybody in the band is going to have different visions of what direction musically the band should go in and by having this outlet they reinforce the group dynamic in the band. Look at Rush for example; Geddy released his own solo project (which was pretty interesting), Neil did his Burning for Buddy albums and Alex did his Victor side project and then came back for the Rush in Rio dvd( I have to admit I wasnt a fan of their last album..the sound wasnt up my alley) and they are still going strong. I'd love to see Chris and Kate do another tour with the band and if Robbie decided to tour with his album I'd go see him do his own thing.(however unlikely it would be they would play in the Midwest)
Reply
#5

I think we have nothing to fear from side projects.

I'd love to see the band do a really stripped down folkie album.
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)