Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Is CBC getting royalties? (Or suing?)
#1

The Discovery Channel is running "The Greatest American" series this summer. I wonder if CBC is getting royalties... assuming they were the originators of the series.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://dsc.discovery.com/convergence/greatestamerican/greatestamerican.html">http://dsc.discovery.com/convergence/gr ... rican.html</a><!-- m -->
Reply
#2

They stole the idea from someone else.
Reply
#3

skippy the wonder dog Wrote:They stole the idea from someone else.
Care to elaborate, or provide some evidence of this theft?
Reply
#4

Well, you could ask the CBC. Smile

They're pretty up front about where they got the idea in their first press release:

http://www.cbc.ca/greatest/media/pressreleases/may.pdf
Reply
#5

Didnt the Brits do it first?
Reply
#6

Yeah, the Brits did it first.. with Churchill winning.
The Germans chose Konrad Adenauer, the Dutch Pim Fortuyn and France is currently choosing theirs.
Reply
#7

Thanks. I guess this trend of picking "The Greatest..." is following in the footsteps of the Idol craze.
Reply
#8

Don't you know we get most of our great TV ideas from the UK!?

I.E....

What Not to Wear
The Weakest Link
Trading Spaces

I could go on, there's plenty TV stuff we've 'stolen' from the UK
Reply
#9

Don't forget Whose Line Is It Anyway

Jeff

June 21, 2003 Toronto, ON: SkyDome
July 1, 2004 Toronto, ON: Molson Amphitheatre
November 26, 2004 Toronto, ON: Air Canada Centre
June 24, 2006 Toronto, ON: Historic Fort York
May 10, 2007 Indianapolis, IN: The Vogue
July 14, 2011 Edmonton, AB: Northlands Festival Site
June 30, 2012 Niagara-on-the-Lake, ON: The Commons at Butler's Barracks
January 23, 2013 Edmonton, AB: Rexall Place
July 28, 2016 Edmonton, AB: Rexall Place
Reply
#10

Soon to be the NBC show "The Office"... I haven't seen the British version but apparently it's hilarious.
BTW... who ended up voted the greatest Canadian?
Reply
#11

thipfan73 Wrote:Don't you know we get most of our great TV ideas from the UK!?

I.E....

What Not to Wear
The Weakest Link
Trading Spaces

I could go on, there's plenty TV stuff we've 'stolen' from the UK

those are you picks for the great ideas???? what about all in the family, three's company, sanford and son, they even tried fawlty towers starring bea arthur...ouch...

as for the office, it's a great show, and although i like the guy starring in the american version, i'm still not sure it will work..still though..beats reality tv!!
Reply
#12

LaminarFlow Wrote:Soon to be the NBC show "The Office"... I haven't seen the British version but apparently it's hilarious.
BTW...
who ended up voted the greatest Canadian?

Tommy Douglas, the "father of medicare" won.

~Will.
Reply
#13

opiated Wrote:
thipfan73 Wrote:Don't you know we get most of our great TV ideas from the UK!?

I.E....

What Not to Wear
The Weakest Link
Trading Spaces

I could go on, there's plenty TV stuff we've 'stolen' from the UK

those are you picks for the great ideas???? what about all in the family, three's company, sanford and son, they even tried fawlty towers starring bea arthur...ouch...

as for the office, it's a great show, and although i like the guy starring in the american version, i'm still not sure it will work..still though..beats reality tv!!

I knew there were others, just couldn't remember them all. I'm a big fan of What Not To Wear and I was a big fan of Trading Spaces in the early days.
Reply


Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)