Posts: 1,414
Threads: 73
Joined: Sep 2002
Reputation:
0
There have been alot of duplicate threads being started lately. Please use the search button on top to see if the topic has already been done before. Be sure to use only key words when searching and leave out very common words otherwise your search will turn back too many responses.
Thanks! :thumb:
Posts: 8,614
Threads: 451
Joined: Sep 2002
Reputation:
0
Hey Jen,
I think that you must be standing next to me on this little soapbox. I get tonnes of PM's asking about B&P's, FTP, all kinds of stuff. Most of the time, the answers to the questions could be found by doing a search, but it seems that skill is lost on many Hipbasers.
Now please, don't get me wrong, I like to help out, but people could have their answer much sooner with a simple search versus waiting for me to reply. (Or for someone else to do a search, and post the link to the original thread in the thread you started!)
Posts: 1,593
Threads: 154
Joined: Jun 2002
Reputation:
0
i agree with both of you lately i get private messages for trades of shows i don't even have or even hey whats wrong with the hundredth meridain ftp i can't get on, well i have nothing to do with the site and the emails come from left field
Ron :rambo:
Posts: 1,414
Threads: 73
Joined: Sep 2002
Reputation:
0
Once again...there are numerous threads being started on subjects that have already been covered....some even SEVERAL times. PLEASE DO A SEARCH before starting a new thread. Use key words and not vague phrases to do your search. If nothing turns up in the search at least you tried.
Posts: 2,255
Threads: 36
Joined: Sep 2002
Reputation:
0
couldnt agree more with ya jen.
Posts: 917
Threads: 76
Joined: Jun 2002
Reputation:
0
I've been meaning to bring this up with Lance because after a couple years I am seeing a ton of repeat questions and the likes. These types of reposts and repeat questions take up space and take bandwidth unncessarily from the site which has a set limit. You all may have noticed that the site was down on the 29th/30th of Sept because our bandwidth was exceeded.
Anyways, please do a search on the topic you want to talk about before you post. If you do post a repeat question or topic you risk that topic being deleted or locked. This is for the good of everyone and the site.
thx :thumb:
Highlander
Posts: 256
Threads: 10
Joined: Sep 2002
Reputation:
0
Why dont you make this thread an announcement in all of the categories or a sticky? Then it is at least visible to everyone at the top of all categories.
Posts: 63
Threads: 3
Joined: Mar 2004
Reputation:
0
I must agree with Purposeless Play, it may be helpful to put up a permanent announcement thread. I remember seeing an announcement on the subject a little while back but it may not have been up for long enough for most users to read it. Also, members who don't take the time to search are probably those least likely to read such a post. By having it up for an extended period of time, maybe it would sink in that it is a more important topic than they currently realize.
As for new users; I'm not sure how this idea would/could be implemented, but somehow require any new user to read any FAQ, Getting Started topics deemed particularly important before gaining access to the other sections of the forum.
That said; For all you search policemen/women out there:
I now fully understand your frustration. I started a torrent request thread a while ago and before hand, searched for similar threads and found none, and am almost positive it was the first tracker request thread.
However, since then I've seen at least three other posts on the exact same topic and I'm sure there will be more to come. This is rather unfortunate to say the least, and I'm not sure if I have the answer to the problem, but I do feel your pain.