Posts: 3,175
Threads: 692
Joined: Jun 2002
Reputation:
0
Explanation: Jon Burnett, a teenager from South Wales, UK, was photographing some friends skateboarding last week when the sky did something very strange. By diverting his camera, he was able to document this rare sky event and capture one of the more spectacular sky images yet recorded. Roughly one minute later, he took another picture of the dispersing trial. What is it? Experts disagree. The first guess was a sofa-sized rock that exploded as a daytime fireball, but perhaps a better hypthesis is an unusual airplane contrail reflecting the setting Sun. Bright fireballs occur over someplace on Earth nearly every day. A separate bolide, likely even more dramatic, struck India only a few days ago.
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/astropix.html">http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/astropix.html</a><!-- m -->
I need 2 Kingston Tickets, please help.
Posts: 917
Threads: 76
Joined: Jun 2002
Reputation:
0
I saw an earthgrazing meteor back when I was a kid. Not as spectacular as that but still pretty cool to see.
Long as they stay sofa sized we're okay. When they get bigger, I'd start to worry. To put it in perspective, an asteroid or meteor the size of a football field (not including the stands) it would flatten New York City and its surrounding areas in an instant. If one a kilometre in circumference were to hit Earth, half the planet would feel the devastating effects.
High
Posts: 2,571
Threads: 145
Joined: May 2003
Reputation:
0
I always wondered if it would be better if it hit the ocean or the land,like i mean a huge one,not these piddly ones.I'd say the ocean myself becuase we'd avoid the blotting out of the sun,dead animals, no food,mass death etc etc. if it hit the ocean atleast it would be just a wickedly HUGE 550ft sunami. :mrgreen:
I will not give up. My face is set,my gait is fast,my goal is heaven,my road is narrow,my way is rough,my companions are few,my guide is reliable,my mission is clear. I cannot be bought,compromised,detoured,lured away,turned back,diluted or delayed. I will not flinch in the face of sacrifice,hesitate in the presence of adversity,negotiate at the table of the enemy,ponder at the pool of popularity,or meander in the maze of mediocrity. I will not give up,shut up or slow down....Blessed Be!