Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Banned from Tracker; Fort York posters
chris Wrote:
Cpt. Trips Wrote:my account got banned, so I made a new one...

I don't really understand how this torrent thing works, I just know how to get stuff....I usually leave my window open even after it finishes so that it keeps uploading, is that what you mean by sharing?

This is a sharing community - boasting that you're a jerk and don't care to share doesn't do anything but force me to put more controls in place which limits everyone's ability to get the shows we tape, edit and distribute for free.

u8555 Wrote:
chris Wrote:Accounts are banned for bad ratios. It's simple - share and you will not be banned.

That's what happened to your original accounts - and then you created second accounts, resulting in an IP ban.

End of story.

No one is out to get you but as you've proven that you're only interested in taking, for the benefit of those who do share you've been banned.

What do you suggest I do?

Honestly, I don't know what any of this means. The only thing that I download off the internet are Hip boots. I got instructions from one of my friends on how to do this, and he also has shown me how to change them so I can listen. I guess I just didn't understand. How can I switch it to be sharing. I would gladly share. Each time I go to a show, I buy an extra ticket and bring someone new with me. So, am I done on that site then?
If you do not know how Bit Torrent works, use google and do some research. It's pretty simple in our community. I record a show, edit it and then post it to the tracker.

Fan A logs in and starts downloading from me.
Fan B logs in and starts downloading from me and Fan A. (Fan A shares what they downloaded from me resulting in a share ratio between what they downloaded and what they uploaded.)
Fan A now access me and Fan B, downloading from me, and uploading to Fan B.

This process continues with each additional person who logs in and joins the torrent.

Get it?

Am I supposed to excuse every person who pleads ignorance to the basic rules we have in place? Should I just let the ignorant abuse those who took the time to learn how it works, and share generously?

What would you do in my shoes?

I have no idea what I would do...I don't understand what it takes to make the thing go. I'm not gonna beg, so if I can get in and share, I would like to...if not, oh well. It would be a bummer, but I'll figure something out, like just paying for it...just let me know. My blocked emails are <!-- e --><a href="mailto:natecockerham@yahoo.com">natecockerham@yahoo.com</a><!-- e --> and <!-- e --><a href="mailto:natecockerham@gmail.com">natecockerham@gmail.com</a><!-- e -->
googolplex Wrote:Just as an aside, but I just heard about these measures (looks like they were just announced yesterday?) and checked my ratio. It's at 0.38, which I know is below the new requirement. I can still login to the tracker, so it seems I'm not banned yet, but I'm wondering if I will be, and if so, if there's any way people who are in my position can build our share ratios up to an appropriate ratio so as to not be banned? I've only really used the tracker a few times in the past, but I'd like to in the future with a good ratio.

So I guess my question is, Chris, is my account set to be banned any day now? Because if so, I better get uploading something fast Smile

The minimum ratio has been in place since late spring/early summer I believe, although it does show October 17th on the homepage of the tracker.

Some ideas for those who wish to raise their ratios.

(a) Don't cancel the torrent when you finish downloading. Leave it running. If there aren't any leechers downloading from you when you're done, maybe somebody will start shortly. Sometimes, I don't start downloading a show if I see there are no seeders.

(b) Upload a show to the tracker, that hasn't been shared before. TLB has put together a comprehensive list of what has been shared previously. Check it out, and see if you have something that hasn't been upped to the tracker yet. (http://bt.hipfans.com/forums.php?action=...topicid=26)

© When you're new to a tracker, don't start by downloading a show that has been up for a long time. You will have more people to upload to if you jump on a torrent that has just been posted, especially when there is still only 1 seeder. (And right now is a great time for this option.) BitTorrent forces you to upload as you download, so when there are more leechers, you will be able to upload to more people, and maintain a good ratio. Again keep it going after you have finished downloading until your ratio is at least 1.00 for the show.

Hope this helps some.
I wasn't being sarcastic, or boasting....I really have little clue when it comes to Bittorrent....

but I was right wasn't I? If I leave the torrent running after it is complete then that means im sharing right?

I really appreciate the service and definately would not try and scam it, im sorry if my first comment was taken in the wrong way, I am in fact stupid when it comes to torrents...
You know what guys, just share and have fun. Get some good music, give some good music (ie. keep your torrent software open after you've downloaded and keep your computer running) and get on with your lives.

"Let's not bicker and argue over who killed who..."
Cpt. Trips Wrote:my account got banned, so I made a new one...

So your second account is working fine then? What's yer email address?

u8555 Wrote:I have no idea what I would do...I don't understand what it takes to make the thing go. I'm not gonna beg, so if I can get in and share, I would like to...if not, oh well. It would be a bummer, but I'll figure something out, like just paying for it...just let me know. My blocked emails are <!-- e --><a href="mailto:natecockerham@yahoo.com">natecockerham@yahoo.com</a><!-- e --> and <!-- e --><a href="mailto:natecockerham@gmail.com">natecockerham@gmail.com</a><!-- e -->

There's a few threads in the Tracker forums explaining this as well as the FAQ tab on the left side of the front page.

Honestly though, there is absolutely no excuse for not sharing. If you can sit and download something, you can sit and upload too. All it takes is keeping your client open for awhile after you complete a torrent. Unfortunately, some folks out there can't stand to wait a couple extra hours and share, opting instead to hear the show they just downloaded right then & there.

Keep in mind that you can still listen to the FLAC files while keeping your client open to increase your ratio. There's absolutely no need to close your torrent just to listen to your show. When put that way, those who immediately jump off really stick out like a sore thumb, basically screaming 'I'm a leecher and don't wanna share'. If they just stayed on a little longer, they wouldn't raise any flags whatsoever.
Quote:© When you're new to a tracker, don't start by downloading a show that has been up for a long time. You will have more people to upload to if you jump on a torrent that has just been posted, especially when there is still only 1 seeder. (And right now is a great time for this option.) BitTorrent forces you to upload as you download, so when there are more leechers, you will be able to upload to more people, and maintain a good ratio. Again keep it going after you have finished downloading until your ratio is at least 1.00 for the show.
Hope this helps some.

Yeah, well. silly me signed up and naively downloaded a few shows that I'd actually want when it was pretty quiet, and left the PC running for (literally) weeks for uploads. I went for the ones that had had the most downloads thinking that they would be popular still after I'd got them. Doh. I only managed to get up to 0.2. Ho hum. Trouble is if you go for the 'classic' boots from there then, as stated, everyone else already has them so you are shafted - there's no way you can get a 1:1 ratio on those shows. Now of course there's load of new stuff going on so, as Chris says, it's easy to get a decent ratio as we are all after the same stuff.

Never mind. The Tracker is excellent - and hats off to Chris etc for making it available.

Old style postal trades anyone? :lol: :roll:

Andy
u8555 Wrote:
chris Wrote:What would you do in my shoes?

I have no idea what I would do...I don't understand what it takes to make the thing go. I'm not gonna beg, so if I can get in and share, I would like to...if not, oh well. It would be a bummer, but I'll figure something out, like just paying for it...just let me know. My blocked emails are <!-- e --><a href="mailto:natecockerham@yahoo.com">natecockerham@yahoo.com</a><!-- e --> and <!-- e --><a href="mailto:natecockerham@gmail.com">natecockerham@gmail.com</a><!-- e -->

Your combined stats for the two accounts you listed are:
Uploaded: 2.04 GB
Downloaded: 5.95 GB
Avg Daily DL: 3.04 MB
Avg Daily UL: 1.04 MB
Ratio: 0.34

So Nate, I've unbanned your bigdogg22 account for now - get your ratio to an acceptable level and we're good to go.

As well, I've implemented a sign-up bonus system where brand new members get a 500mb Upload credit to start so that they have absolutely no reason not to maintain a positive share ratio. With that in mind, I've given everyone an additional 500mb of upload credit. (Don't message me if anyone doesn't think you got it, you did. I did it through the database.)
Quote:So your second account is working fine then? What's yer email address?

<!-- e --><a href="mailto:john.dallas@gmail.com">john.dallas@gmail.com</a><!-- e -->

the account that was removed was <!-- e --><a href="mailto:tragicallyhip38@hotmail.com">tragicallyhip38@hotmail.com</a><!-- e -->
I have read all of the FAQs and attempted to orient myself with the tracker and all of those lovely things.

I am pretty sure I was banned due to my poor sharing ratio. When I was frequently visiting the tracker, I was living in a dorm with all sorts of weird firewalls etc. I do not know if this had any bearing on my ability to upload in terms of speed, amount, effectiveness, etc. If someone could shed some light on this so I could return to the track and be a postive and helpful member, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance. :thumb:

-Jenna
Jenna_Bird Wrote:I have read all of the FAQs and attempted to orient myself with the tracker and all of those lovely things.

I am pretty sure I was banned due to my poor sharing ratio. When I was frequently visiting the tracker, I was living in a dorm with all sorts of weird firewalls etc. I do not know if this had any bearing on my ability to upload in terms of speed, amount, effectiveness, etc. If someone could shed some light on this so I could return to the track and be a postive and helpful member, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance. :thumb:

-Jenna
What is your username on the new tracker? What was your username on the old tracker?

All of those items you listed factor into your ratio.
Is anyone else having problems in the last couple days downloading the .torrent files from the tracker? I try, but it ends up downloading at 3 bytes a second or something ridiculous like that.