Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2004-09-19 Cleveland show found
Scottitude & Chris, much thanks. If leaving the window open is the cost of downloading such a great show then I will leave it open all day.

I see what you mean about the "ratio". I hated Statistics in college but I can see that the upload divided by the download is where that figure is coming from, duh.

The show downloaded in 37 minutes and the quality is sick. That sure beats waiting 2 weeks for the mailman to arrive.
can anyone post this in MP3 form? Confusedcratch:
Retracting my statement...read what Chris posted. :thumb:

-Jenna
Please don't convert high quality recordings to MP3's and then circulate them. Tapers work hard to generate high quality recordings, and share them with other fans. If they get degraded to MP3's, and then distributed, the high quality recordings will go the way of the Dodo bird.

Download the SHN from my website - it'll only take a couple of minutes on a high speed connection as my server streams info at well over 300kb/s. Even if you are using a dialup connection, it won't take that long, and it's definitely worth it.

Thanks!
chris Wrote:Please don't convert high quality recordings to MP3's and then circulate them. Tapers work hard to generate high quality recordings, and share them with other fans. If they get degraded to MP3's, and then distributed, the high quality recordings will go the way of the Dodo bird.

Download the SHN from my website - it'll only take a couple of minutes on a high speed connection as my server streams info at well over 300kb/s. Even if you are using a dialup connection, it won't take that long, and it's definitely worth it.

Thanks!

Agreed. After downloading and trading many DMB boots, I have come to really appreciate good quality recordings in a clean, lossless format. I used to be somewhat disheartened at the number of low quality, compressed Hip boots floating around, but it seems the times are changing.

Keep up the great work everyone!
chris Wrote:Please don't convert high quality recordings to MP3's and then circulate them. Tapers work hard to generate high quality recordings, and share them with other fans. If they get degraded to MP3's, and then distributed, the high quality recordings will go the way of the Dodo bird.

Thanks!

Question: can anyone really tell the difference between a WAV file and an MP3 file encoded at, say 224 kps? It strikes me as the same thing as claiming that you are able to tell the difference between a Molson Canadian vs Labatt Blue.

I've only recently started using bit torrents and what I do is burn the original files to CD for backup, but I also convert them to MP3 so that I can listen to them on my iPod. I know not to trade the MP3s and just use them for my personal use, but I'm curious to know if anyone really truly thinks they can tell the difference.

I'm not trying to start any trouble here - I'd never trade in MP3 format because all of the txt files with these shows say not to and I want to respect the wishes of the original uploader - I'm just curious to know if anyone really can tell the difference - because I sure can't. But I'm not an audiophile....

:thumb:
The difference is easy to hear, in most recordings, if you listen to it on a good sound system, and not a small pair of headphones, or computer speakers. Additionally, not only does the quality suffer, but SHN & FLAC offer a lossless method of transferring a file. MP3's will play whether they are complete, or not. So preservation of the orignial recording comes into play.
chris Wrote:The difference is easy to hear, in most recordings, if you listen to it on a good sound system, and not a small pair of headphones, or computer speakers. Additionally, not only does the quality suffer, but SHN & FLAC offer a lossless method of transferring a file. MP3's will play whether they are complete, or not. So preservation of the orignial recording comes into play.

Interesting. I hook my iPod up to my home stereo (Yamaha receiver and Bose speakers) and my car stereo (Bose sound system) and I simply can't tell the difference. Guess I need to get my ears cleaned out!

:thumb: :oops:
What are you comparing?

If I play an MP3 in my car stereo (Alpine + blah, blah, blah = lots of high end equipment) and then put in an audio CD, burned from FLAC or SHN compressed files, the difference is very clear.

Same goes for my home stereo.

But if you are happy with MP3's, keep on rockin'! Just please don't circulate them. :thumb:
I can tell the difference between Canadian and Bleu.....but after 10 you could give me dish water and I wouldn't complain.

The only reason I'd want to convert this to another format is so I can take it in the car...or give to friends. This is one hell of a show...after seeing the boston show I think the sound from cleveland was totally different. Gord sounded tinny in boston, in this show he sounds robust (sorry, first word that came to mind)...solid range, clear and strong.
Could anyone do a B&P of this show for a technological idiot? Thanks.
bolivarbill Wrote:Could anyone do a B&P of this show for a technological idiot? Thanks.

Yup. PM me and I'll set you up.
hmmmm.. better quality than mp3? i must be in the dark ages *scratches head* looks like i'll have to try the bit torrent thing this weekend.
Could someone please reseed this show?

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=7806">http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=7806</a><!-- m -->

There are 2 of us leechers ready to pounce. (I had this show, but it seems to have disappeared... copy on hard drive went when it crashed; burned copy has gone AWOL.)

Thanks!