Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
missing ya Rory
Heh, this is a funny discussion. I guess hoarding and leet tapers that never share are common misconceptions in all music communities. I came from the Smashing Pumpkins trading community where there were quite a few jealous people; including me that wished we could get some 'leet' material. Well the only way around this problem is two solutions. One is to wait, because these things do get released. For example the holy grail of the Smashing Pumpkins community (Mashed Potatoes) was finally released after three years. The other solution, the better and proactive one, is to tape your self. I finally decided to get a Minidisc recorder for about $250 and my microphones I made from scratch came out to about $50 for parts. I probably spent another $50 on educating myself and wasted material on the project.

The reason why I tape concerts now is because I'm getting a little hard of hearing and whenever I go to concerts the sound sounds like shit. I use earplugs and I find after I tape, the sound is so much better. I don't mind sharing my concerts, all you have to do is ask. As well if I don’t get back to you please don’t take it personally. I don’t have the time to burn a show for everybody because taping is not my life and not a high priority. My only main concern is seeing my show that I taped up on eBay. As well I prefer that the show not be converted into MP3 too.

So how do we get shows to be distributed quicker and faster? I don't think it's because a taper is a leet hoarding whore. The problem lies in with the time, effort and education. I'm very brand spanking new to the Hip community so I have no idea how many people know the Hip is taper friendly or understand the ins and outs of trading. The Smashing Pumpkins community had about five to ten really knowledgeable people who spent a lot of time and effort educating average people like me on how to trade and tape shows. If you have the guts and patience to lead the community in educating people on how to tape, trade and distribute shows please do so. Stop whining about it. If you are not happy with the current situation do something about it.
mark, would you be willing to make clones of miniDV's for non-tapers? i know people who make DVD's and i would be willing to supply them with my copeis of the miniDV's.

just a thought. if you are interested at all, you can shoot me a pm.

btw, what gear do you run when you audio tape?
I taped a few showz Ya for me!!!!!!!!!!!

Grow up Boys.
Spend more time sharing the shows less time bitching we'd all be happier Hipsters

shane
Hey Mark,

Thanks for the offer!! This got way to outta hand. I get a little upset when I know shows are out there that are unavailable. I was never after more than a couple of shows. Shows that I taped myself, I just wanted another angle. One show to be specific. The second night in Regina where Gord does the extended whale rant is my all time fav. I'll pm ya to make arrangements.
Hind sight is always better. Somedays I wish I didn't see Mark with his camera at those shows. Ignorance can be bliss. Other days I wonder why he didn't just say no I don't trade instead of telling me he would way back when. And still other days my wife asks me why the hell I bother with this. Boots are magical to me. Ever since I got my first Dead boot I've been obsessed. I'll take live music over studio everytime as I sit at my desk listening to the edmonton show(thanks Gus!!). It is not just the music but the memories that flood back when I listen to certain boots, that is the real magic. The wife and I went to a hip show for our second date. That is a very special boot. This is why I find the time to burn shows. When I gave the guy who got on stage with the hip to sing part of thugs when Gord forgot the lyrics he shit! He was so happy that a copy even existed. He sent out a message through one of our radio staions asking if anyone who taped the show could get him a copy. My bro heard this and told me to give him a call. Needless to say I made a friend for life. Anyhoo Mark I am sorry it came out like this.

Quote:you should come to ontario and do some shows with us and bring little willy too(i'm sure me and my bro can find something fun to do with you 2)

I don't get it bornalion. little willy? little willy ain't so little dude. Is this a threat? Should I watch out for you if I can make it out there on tour? Or do I have it all wrong? Are you going to take us out for beers? Are you old enough to take us out for beers?

Actually BAL I'm from Van I just live here now. The reason I have time to burn shows is because it really doesn't take that long to burn one show. If you burn one show a day not including weekends that 5 shows a week. That is more than enough if those shows go to active traders.

I don't recall saying that I deserved anything. When you have the time to check this site several times a day then I think you have time to answer a few PM's I don't send out many but when I do a response would be nice. I've tried to talk with other people besides Mark who can't be bothered to respond. I assumed some of these people might be friends, my bad, we are all really just strangers on this board with the exception of a few.

I should apologize for what. I said thanks to Rory in my first post. The post is missing ya Rory and I do. There is one apology that should be made and that is from you to me. Maybe think before you threaten people.

Is there harm in asking for a boot?
Crazy crazy stuff! Long thread too! I unfortunately have no job so any chance of me taping a Hip show is next to frickin nil. Anyway, I'm not what you would call a die-hard Hip fan and am relatively new to the alot of stuff that is said on here. I've been a fan for awhile but only within the last year did i first get on the FTP and first hear the Hip live (besides LBU) and anyway, what I'm saying is, I have no Hip shows. Never even been to a Hip concert. Sad . Downloading video from the FTP? Ha! It takes me like two hours for a music video let alone a whole concert...

BUT i mentioned in another thread if anybody could hook me up with a b&p it'd be appreciated and Bauer was the only one that responded. I offered to pay him (might not seem right to you guys but I didn't know how much time or effort it would take him) and he said "no" he wouldn't accept any money, he would just do it to spread the music we all love. I haven't got to ya yet bauer but i need to buy some blanks (and having no job and drug habits makes this very interesting!)

So anyway, I'm a nice guy. If i'm at a Hip concert in the future (which is good prospects) and anybody (ANYBODY) on the hipbase here needs a ride or anything, I'd gladly help ya's out. I'm not going to bend over backwards and have people take advantage of my kindness or anything but yeah, I like helping out. If it was just a random person at a Hip concert I might not. But if it's someone from here, definitely.

And it was said earlier that some people on here ignore PMs or something like that. If anybody is ever bored or just in the mood to talk about the Hip (or anything else for that matter), I'm on here quite a bit. Feel free to PM me, tell me to get on Yahoo or MSN and whatever. I mean I'd love to get to know people on the hipbase here better. I guess alot of you's already know each other but hey, just letting ya know I'm a mouse-click away from anybody. And is it just me, or do Hip fans seem smarter than average people? Smile
oh ya...we are alot smarter :thumb:
7/17/95-Craven
11/18/96-Saskatoon
7/21/97-Saskatoon
9/16/00-Winnipeg
11/24/00-Red Deer
07/14/02-Camrose
9/26/02-Edmonton
9/27/02-Edmonton
8/1/03-Kelowna
6/22/04-Edmonton
11/17/04-Edmonton
11/20/04-Saskatoon
10/28/06-Calgary
1/19/07-Regina
7/18/07-Saskatoon
6/22/08-Calgary
8/4/09-Saskatoon
9/14/09-Edmonton
9/19/09-Banff
7/14/11-Edmonton
1/23/13-Edmonton
7/6/13-Saskatoon
10/10/15-Houston
7/28/16-Edmonton
7/30/16-Edmonton
8/01/16-Calgary
it wasn't a threat(it was a joke) you should just see how busy we are with work ,girlfriends,wives,kids and hobbies(and i added little willy in there cause i thought it was funny)

your brother is the one to apologize to rory and mark not you.to me this whole thing is a joke and should never have been posted but i felt like i needed to reply.

before you burn a show you must convert it first and there is no way anyone with any job can do 1 a day let alone 1 a week.
since you tape you know this.
you're lucky if you have the time but others don't.

so you might ask why doesn't he send his stuff to someone else to convert for him well if that person does a shitty job of it and it gets spreaded around it has marks name on it and that's not a good thing for high end traders because everyone will think your stuff is all shitty.

there is no harm in asking but your brother shouldn't have done what he did just because you didn't get a reply about some concert tape its only a tape.

it sounds like you didn't even talk to mark at the shows out west why?maybe you could have gotten a response you liked from him.
hes a good guy with good intentions he shouldn't have been singled out like that.

and if you took my jokes seriously i am sorry
if a person has the time, converting a show doesn't take that long.

i have seen DMB shows hit the net within HOURS of the show ending.

mark, and other tapers, have you ever considered recording straight to a laptop? that would make conversion easier because you would already have the raw WAV files.
ron Wrote:why is everyone so angry lately here at hipbase , the hip just put out a new cd listen and enjoy

if someone doesn't want to trade thats his right

I have been following this thread and I can relate to the feelings on both sides of this issue. I have attended close to 20 shows and love watching The Hip perform live, as we all do. I never knew fans were taping audio and video until I joined this forum back in June 2003. This opened a new reality for me. I could relive the experiences I had at a show by obtaining a copy from someone willing to trade.

The problem is, how do you trade when you have nothing to offer? I made a few friends on the forum who gave me some shows and asked for nothing in return. Very kind indeed! I had a start and hoped to trade with others to increase the size of my collection. After trying numerous FTP programs and other fixes, I have never been able to log onto the 100th Meridian and tap into that great source of shows.

I also tried PMing various members to try and set up BnPs or trades. The majority of the time my PMs went unanswered. Occasionally, someone would come through and that would really make my day. Today, I have a small collection of audio boots and a couple of DVDs. Nothing to brag about, but valuable to me.

Bauer, I was like you at one time. Bitter knowing that others had the source but were to busy or unwilling to trade. It took me awhile to get over my rejection/dejection. I have learned to be happy with my successes and not to hold a grudge against those who never answered my PMs or didn't want to trade. Besides, I tried putting myself in the 'tapers' position. How would I feel being constantly inundated with requests for shows? Chances are these tapers have just about every boot there is. There must be little incentive on their part to be trading with the majority of us who have nothing to offer in return and only want to satisfy our own needs.

Bauer, I must defend those you have an issue with. I have had some of the same experiences you have had. While I didn't always get the show I was hoping to trade for, I have gained computer skills and knowledge I never had before by learning from the tapers and traders. I even made a very good friend here. Try looking at things from a different perspective and good luck in getting that special boot you are searching for.
Rory / Mark,
It's Scott from Boston.. cheers I finally found this forum..

Rory,
I have the orginal setlist sheet from that 11/10/94 Boston show that was your first bootleg. Its in near-perfect condition.
It was my second Hip show ever...
I had 4th row center and left after the Hip's set after I grabbed their setlist sheet.
You can even hear my drunken screams for "locked" on that boot after "Courage"...
Say the word and the setlist sheet and any other US setlist sheets I have are yours...
send me a PM

Like everyone else, I would be nowhere withot Rory's gererosity and I've never even been to Canada.

Mark,
In your defense, you very nicely converted the 7/27/02 and 7/28/02 Somervillle videos that I shot to from VHS to DVD and never asked for a thing from me in return!

Two fine upstanding Canadians in my book...!
Peace and love from Boston,

PS Rory, congrats on your daughter, I have two girls and a boy and they all know "The Hip". songs by heart 8) ..
Now there's one American I regret never meeting... thanks for the kind words, Scott...

Rory
Rory! You're beautiful! Congratulations on the growing up (all of a sudden) Now life will have amazing meaning!
all the best,
tina
i want to pipe up for bauer here.i have gotten a couple shows off him including the new city show that he burned with his own discs AND dropped them off at a residence in regina for me...hell, he even brought me a bukket as he passed through my town on the way to edmonton! truly selfless acts to be sure.
7/17/95-Craven
11/18/96-Saskatoon
7/21/97-Saskatoon
9/16/00-Winnipeg
11/24/00-Red Deer
07/14/02-Camrose
9/26/02-Edmonton
9/27/02-Edmonton
8/1/03-Kelowna
6/22/04-Edmonton
11/17/04-Edmonton
11/20/04-Saskatoon
10/28/06-Calgary
1/19/07-Regina
7/18/07-Saskatoon
6/22/08-Calgary
8/4/09-Saskatoon
9/14/09-Edmonton
9/19/09-Banff
7/14/11-Edmonton
1/23/13-Edmonton
7/6/13-Saskatoon
10/10/15-Houston
7/28/16-Edmonton
7/30/16-Edmonton
8/01/16-Calgary
Personally, I think anybody who has any shows which they didn't record themselves should feel privileged. It takes time, effort, and motivation to transfer these shows over and over again. Don't get me wrong, I would love to have every Hip show ever recorded in my possession, but that just isn't a possibility. I mean, I love the Hip and all, and I haven't really listened to anything else since IBE came out, yet I can understand not putting all of your time and efforts into a band. I would actually be a little concerned for his sanity if Mark were to take the time and effort to transfer each and every show he's recorded.
Mark S. also took a few of my shows from 8mm and put them to DVD for me back before I had proper equipment. I think over the next few tours if we all pull together and use the right technology and websites we can spread some quality Audio and definately some serious DVD packages for those who have time to share their video. Look what happen with the Wasaga Vid !