Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best and Worst Bands you Discovered thru The Hip
Best : the Odds

Worst: By Divine Right
Weezer could have been the best band to open for the HIP but the lead singer bordered on disrespecting us when we weren't enthusiastic enough for his liking and he threatened to stop playing and go home! Circa Toronto Downsview 2011. The Odds were indeed the best band ever to open for the HIP. The Dears were the worst.
Not to high jack this thread as it was not for a Hip show, but we went to see The Chili Peppers a couple years ago in Ottawa. The opening act was this band called Deerhoof.......... I thought I could deal with a lot, but my word, I can not even describe how horrible they were. Without a doubt, the worst band I have ever heard or seen. Have a look on Youtube if you dare.
I arguably owe my Sam Roberts and Sarah Harmer fandom to seeing each as openers. That first run with SRB opening for The Hip in 2002 was pretty special.

I wasn't a huge Arkells fan going into the Wiarton show in 2009, and it did nothing to change my mind. That said, my least favourite opener was likely Our Lady Peace. Each time I saw them open for The HIp I was bored to tears.
I knew Sam Roberts but had not seen him live until an IVL show in Syracuse. Half full venue, half enthused crowd, SRB played like it was a capacity stadium. He was great, won over those who were there and won me over as well.

Way back to Road Apples tour, The Waltons were pretty impressive against a hostile crowd.

DFN -- I liked The Odds, never really got into Change of Heart. Richardson Stadium show, Andrew Cash was OK but Headstones were really solid playing through not great weather. Kathleen Edwards did a great job as I recall.
hotmetal401 Wrote:I arguably owe my Sam Roberts and Sarah Harmer fandom to seeing each as openers. That first run with SRB opening for The Hip in 2002 was pretty special.

I wasn't a huge Arkells fan going into the Wiarton show in 2009, and it did nothing to change my mind. That said, my least favourite opener was likely Our Lady Peace. Each time I saw them open for The HIp I was bored to tears.

I forgot about Sarah Harmer. definitely turned me into a fan
Rheostatics for sure. Although I wasn’t into them at first. During the TATH tour I was 17, my young ears weren’t ready yet I guess. Became a massive fan in my 20’s though, maybe even more than the Hip.

John Cage. I purchased Silence after hearing Tiger the Lion. He’s a pretty heavy thinker and his music pretty much challenges every aspect of popular music. Not easy listening ... unless you throw on “4:33”

Weakerthans/Sam Roberts. Maybe not introduced me, but the Hip’s validation certainly helped steer me towards them.
KarmaKrazy Wrote:John Cage.
Oh. John Cage!
Not an opener but I definitely found him via The Hip. Thankfully.

Hmm... who else have you guys found through or because of The Hip?
"We're forced to bed, but we're free to dream"
Dana
I would have no idea who the fuck Teenage Head were if it weren't for The Hip.
2004-12-03 - Saint John/2005-09-03 - Moncton/2006-06-30 - Charlottetown/2006-11-09/10 - Montreal/2007-09-11 - Fredericton/2007-09-13 - Halifax/2007-09-14 - Sydney/2007-09-15 - Charlottetown/2008-06-30 - Charlottetown/2009-05-01/02 - Montreal/2011-06-28 - Moncton/2011-06-30 - Charlottetown/2012-06-30 - Niagara-on-the-Lake/2013-02-01 - Moncton/2013-02-02 - Halifax/2015-01-10 - Toronto/2015-02-20 - Montreal/2015-07-17 - Ottawa/2016-08-18 - Ottawa/2016-08-20 - Kingston
Tthip Wrote:Hmm... who else have you guys found through or because of The Hip?

An obvious one, but Hugh MacLennan. He may have remained someone I was peripherally aware of, rather than an author I've read, if it wasn't for Courage.
I did a book report/literature review of some sort on Two solitudes in Grade 11, simply because of the dedication of courage to MacLennan as well.
ya'll are freaking loony tunes for not digging on BSS
get their latest cd(hug of thunder 2017). play it. absorb it and then come back here. ha ha i dare u Smile
they just sold out 2 nights danforth music hall so the HYPE is there good people !!

i OWE my sam roberts love all to TTH
i saw them open a few times and became a fan for life after those shows
ashtrayrock Wrote:ya'll are freaking loony tunes for not digging on BSS
get their latest cd(hug of thunder 2017). play it. absorb it and then come back here. ha ha i dare u Smile
I really did try. I've listened to You Forgot It In People a bunch of times, as that's the one everyone says is most accessible. And I listened to Hug and the two new ones a couple times each as well. And I still have no idea what the draw is. Love, love, love Amy, Emily and Leslie's solo stuff, and like most of Metric's stuff. But BSS remain a mystery to me.
ashtrayrock Wrote:they just sold out 2 nights danforth music hall so the HYPE is there good people !!
Oh for sure, they are a big time band and I love seeing Canadians kill it, but the genre is just not for me. Never liked Arcade Fire, the Shins, Fleet Foxes, Band of Horses, St. Vincent, none of that. It's too evolved for me. It feels like a tight, colourful trendy sweater that you wear to feel cool, but hate the entire time you have it on Smile
andrew sharpe Wrote:
ashtrayrock Wrote:they just sold out 2 nights danforth music hall so the HYPE is there good people !!
Oh for sure, they are a big time band and I love seeing Canadians kill it, but the genre is just not for me. Never liked Arcade Fire, the Shins, Fleet Foxes, Band of Horses, St. Vincent, none of that. It's too evolved for me. It feels like a tight, colourful trendy sweater that you wear to feel cool, but hate the entire time you have it on Smile

Your analogy made me immediately think of an actual pastel-coloured, sweater-wearing band that I "don't get"... Vampire Weekend. "Ivy League Rockers" isn't a title that screams excitement, and while it's not that I don't enjoy intelligent lyrics, it's that these guys carry them off with an air of pretension. I suppose that is the same for a number of bands in your list. The only one I would try to make an argument for is Band of Horses. Sonically, these guys are probably most like the Hip out of those you've listed (although certainly no one would confuse the two). Not sure what you've listened to, but Cease to Begin and Infinite Arms are good places to start. And if you've already listened to both these and still hate the band, then your mind is made up!
potsie Wrote:Your analogy made me immediately think of an actual pastel-coloured, sweater-wearing band that I "don't get"... Vampire Weekend. "Ivy League Rockers" isn't a title that screams excitement, and while it's not that I don't enjoy intelligent lyrics, it's that these guys carry them off with an air of pretension. I suppose that is the same for a number of bands in your list.
Yeah I was gonna use the p-word, but I didn't want to insult basers that like those bands. Every generation hates the music of the next, and I don't want to come across as the get off my lawn guy.
potsie Wrote:The only one I would try to make an argument for is Band of Horses. Sonically, these guys are probably most like the Hip out of those you've listed (although certainly no one would confuse the two). Not sure what you've listened to, but Cease to Begin and Infinite Arms are good places to start. And if you've already listened to both these and still hate the band, then your mind is made up!
They're ok. The vocals probably just need time. I can be wishy washy and impatient...there's so much great music that I usually just go straight for the honey.

The National are a band that are blowing me away. Everything since Boxer has been amazing...can't wait for the new one this month. But I'm sure many would call them the ultimate in pretense...and I see the point.

So, yeah, music is subjective. Back to the thread (sorry Tthip).