Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best and Worst Bands you Discovered thru The Hip
What bands did you not know before The Hip? That The Hip introduced you to?
What/who do you love? Hate?

Me:
Love Love Love: Death Cab Cab For Cutie
Never,ever, knew them before.

Hate? Broken Social Scene I just dont get any of it. From Gords/Hip stuff to BSS stuff.

I have found many more bands that I like through The Hip.
But these two blow my mind for different reasons.
"We're forced to bed, but we're free to dream"
Dana
Best:

Rheostatics- I became obsessed with these guys after seeing them in '96 on the Henhouse tour. Such an amazing and unique group of musicians.

Wilco- they blew my mind on the '97 ARA tour. They were a lot less arty/folky back then and more of a straight-ahead rock band. Just awesome.

Daniel Lanois- I already knew him as "that Canadian guy who produced U2 and Peter Gabriel", but I had no idea he was such a great musician & songwriter in his own right until I saw him on the ARA '93 tour. Dude was incredible. Went out and bought Acadie and For the Beauty of Wynona the next day.

Sam Roberts- pretty sure I've seen him at least 8 times or so, 4 of those were Hip shows. Still one of the best live shows around.

Crash Vegas- I fell in love with Michelle McAdorey the second she walked on stage. Great band too!

Change of Heart- easily the heaviest, most punk-rock band the Hip ever played with. They were glorious.

Sons of Freedom- opened for the Hip in '92 on the FC tour, and holy crap were they ever fuckin' LOUD! My ears are still bleeding just thinking about it.

Worst:

Broken Social Scene- I just never got them. "You Forgot It In People" is a decent album, I'll give them that. But the rest of their catalogue is just...meh.

By Divine Right- Leslie Feist played with them for a while as a 2nd guitarist/vocalist in '98, so that was cool. Other than that, I didn't enjoy these guys at all.

Wayne- alt-rock band from Birmingham, Alabama who opened for the Hip during the U.S. leg of the IVL tour in 2002. Just awful.
Sam Roberts really impressed my wife and I when we saw our last Hip show in 2004. Derek Trucks band opened for them in '98 or '99, they were really good too. "Clarisa from Chapel Hill" as Gord would call them, who opened on the early part of the Henhouse tour, not so hot.
Joel Plaskett is awesome. I didn't like his Thrush Hermit days but him solo or with the Emergency is the best. I hated Clarisa from the henhouse tour. I saw them in Syracuse, Rochester and Cleveland and they sucked each time.
The Sadies !
cmckay69 Wrote:Joel Plaskett is awesome. I didn't like his Thrush Hermit days but him solo or with the Emergency is the best. I hated Clarisa from the henhouse tour. I saw them in Syracuse, Rochester and Cleveland and they sucked each time.
Yeah, Rochester was were we saw them too. Was a neat venue to see the Hip in.
redhill Wrote:The Sadies !
Love The Sadies!
We got into Rochester really early to tailgate a bit. We got backstage to watch a bit of soundcheck. Heard a few songs and then got kicked out. Met Johnny there. Each show got better and better on that tour.
Tthip Wrote:Hate? Broken Social Scene I just dont get any of it. From Gords/Hip stuff to BSS stuff.

Not a fan either. Tbh I rarely enjoyed a Hip opener, and the ones I did, I already knew, like Change of Heart and Hayden. I enjoyed Chris & Kate's playing with the Hip, but didn't like their solo stuff at all.

I guess, this is a weird one, but I saw Jeff Healey open for them in New York City, and although I knew who he was, I didn't really know his music that well. His performance blew me away and I've been a fan since then.
andrew sharpe Wrote:I guess, this is a weird one, but I saw Jeff Healey open for them in New York City,
Hey. I was at that show and forgot about him opening.
"We're forced to bed, but we're free to dream"
Dana
Best: Kathleen Edwards, the Sadies, Joel Plaskett, Rheostatics, Buck 65, and the Deep Dark Woods (I think their drummer used to be a regular poster here)

Worst: The Weakerthans (sorry direwolf74 :lol: ) I've just never been able to get into them because of John's voice.
Tthip Wrote:
andrew sharpe Wrote:I guess, this is a weird one, but I saw Jeff Healey open for them in New York City,
Hey. I was at that show and forgot about him opening.
Did you love it? It was one of the best shows I've seen, but it might have had to do with circumstance more than performance. I'd had a terrible day in the city alone and only discovered the Hip were playing by accident, but when I walked in there were a bunch of friends from home that I hadn't seen in awhile, and had no idea were coming. And the band played Escape is at Hand, which is still my favourite Hip song and I hadn't seen live yet. It was a beautiful day in the park, and all that combined with the backdrop, and the band, made for a fantastic show.
emperor penguin Wrote:Worst: The Weakerthans (sorry direwolf74 :lol: ) I've just never been able to get into them because of John's voice.
Try again. They took me awhile to get into, but now I honestly think Reconstruction Site and Left and Leaving are two of the greatest Canadian albums ever recorded. I saw them play with the Constantines and it would make my top ten shows.
emperor penguin Wrote:Best: Kathleen Edwards, the Sadies, Joel Plaskett, Rheostatics, Buck 65, and the Deep Dark Woods (I think their drummer used to be a regular poster here)

Worst: The Weakerthans (sorry direwolf74 :lol: ) I've just never been able to get into them because of John's voice.

I agree with the weakerthans, could not get into them at all. I really struggled with The Dears as well.

Best: Buck 65, Sam Roberts Band, James McKenty & the Spades. The Sadies,

Joel Plaskett, didnt like him at the time, but he has really grown on my over the years.
Being in Ottawa, the majority of the shows they played here post-2000 were either evening with or bluesfest shows, so I feel like I missed a lot of the opening bands. In fact, I can only remember seeing plaskett in 2004 and the constantines in 2007 off the top of my head, both of whom I already knew. And saw sam Roberts and the rural alberta advantage open for them in 2013 in montreal. Oh wait, the arkells in Kingston in 2013! I thought they were going to be my new favourite band. Instead, they turned into pop stars and disappointed me greatly. So it goes.