Poll: Which song do you think is weakest from the album champions?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
New Orleans Is Sinking
27.03%
10 27.03%
Three Pistols
10.81%
4 10.81%
Locked In The Trunk Of A Car
0%
0 0%
Nautical Disaster
0%
0 0%
Ahead By A Century
2.70%
1 2.70%
Emperor Penguin
8.11%
3 8.11%
The Dire Wolf
16.22%
6 16.22%
Machine
35.14%
13 35.14%
Total 37 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Weakest Link - Gold Medallists - Round 7
Morning Moon and Machine were running neck and neck but MM has taken the most votes and is eliminated.

9 - Morning Moon
10 - Lake Fever
11 - Family Band
12 - Goodnight Josephine
13 - At Transformation
14 - Small Town Bringdown

Vote for the song you feel is weakest from the list of album champions. After 48 hours we will remove the song with the most votes and move on to round 8. In the event of a tie, both (or more) songs will be eliminated.

This round will end Wednesday at 11:36am Eastern.

Happy voting,

Shane
Dire again. 4th or 5th time now.
Voting NOIS again.
2 votes for Emperor Penguin ? Christ. No wonder Hipbase is shutting down.
2004-12-03 - Saint John/2005-09-03 - Moncton/2006-06-30 - Charlottetown/2006-11-09/10 - Montreal/2007-09-11 - Fredericton/2007-09-13 - Halifax/2007-09-14 - Sydney/2007-09-15 - Charlottetown/2008-06-30 - Charlottetown/2009-05-01/02 - Montreal/2011-06-28 - Moncton/2011-06-30 - Charlottetown/2012-06-30 - Niagara-on-the-Lake/2013-02-01 - Moncton/2013-02-02 - Halifax/2015-01-10 - Toronto/2015-02-20 - Montreal/2015-07-17 - Ottawa/2016-08-18 - Ottawa/2016-08-20 - Kingston
I voted based on "what song do I least want to hear right now" -- NOIS.
Im Puttin down NOIS
Not only should Emperor Penguin be eliminated promptly, but it shouldn't be on this list in the first place. I would place it second to worst within Phantom Power, I don't know what it is that you guys are hearing in that song that I don't but to me it's wholly unremarkable.
NateTG Wrote:Not only should Emperor Penguin be eliminated promptly, but it shouldn't be on this list in the first place. I would place it second to worst within Phantom Power, I don't know what it is that you guys are hearing in that song that I don't but to me it's wholly unremarkable.

!I do not like the tone of your trumpet!

ct
NateTG Wrote:I would place it second to worst within Phantom Power
ban plz
Is Machine really going to lose this round? It should finish in the top 3!
Escape@Hand Wrote:Is Machine really going to lose this round? It should finish in the top 3!

Not 100% sure about top 3 but definitely should hang around a little longer. Way better tune than Dire Wolf.
I hate to keep beating the receny bias drum, but New Orleans is sinking is not a worse song than machine. Just because you've heard it live 50 times doesn't mean it's bad. And I don't even like NOIS that much. Come on, people.
NateTG Wrote:Not only should Emperor Penguin be eliminated promptly, but it shouldn't be on this list in the first place. I would place it second to worst within Phantom Power, I don't know what it is that you guys are hearing in that song that I don't but to me it's wholly unremarkable.

Blasphemy!

[Image: giphy.webp]

I admire the bold contrarian statement. I wouldn't have a problem with you ranking Emperor Penguin behind Escape, Poets, Bob C and maybe one or two others (I personally wouldn't) but second to worst? That's telling me that either the Rules or Save the Planet is better than Emperor Penguin and that just can't be!
SRK Wrote:I hate to keep beating the receny bias drum, but New Orleans is sinking is not a worse song than machine. Just because you've heard it live 50 times doesn't mean it's bad. And I don't even like NOIS that much. Come on, people.

Machine does benefit from recency bias. When I think of the MMP album, it's the song that points most to a new and interesting direction. That's the road I would have liked to have seen the band travel down. I love how Gord's voice changes when he hits the word "aloft" as if to lighten it and keep it floating in the air. And Paul and Rob are fantastic on the song.

However, I agree that it's not a better song than NOIS. Lyrically there just isn't much to it. Ten times he repeats either "I'm a real machine" or "You're a real machine" with three other couplets thrown in. NOIS has some interesting surrealistic imagery and the iconic "Swim!". While I'd rather listen to Machine any day of the week, NOIS is the better song.