Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's next for Rob, Paul, Johnny & Gord S.?
potsie Wrote:
direwolf74 Wrote:
cochise Wrote:Besides, I think its a bit too soon to jump into the vault or start releasing B-sides or anything like that. If that started to happen now, it might look like a cash grab. I would guess maybe in 5 years from now you might start seeing stuff like that trickle out.

5 years? I doubt it will be that long. Even though they're no longer a working band, the Hip's catalogue still provides a revenue stream for the guys and their families, including Gord's. After Gord got sick, I'm sure the band got together with their management and their label, and drew up plans for their catalogue going forward. We've already seen them roll out new vinyl reissues and the bluray/DVD releases of the Kingston show and the Long Time Running doc. I wouldn't be surprised if we see more stuff trickle out either later this year, or early 2019.

I think fourth quarter of 2018 would be a fine time for an album. It will have been a year since Downie's death, an appropriate amount of time to wait without making it seem like it was expedited for a cash grab. From a commercial standpoint (although this has probably become less relevant since the band became pot multi-millionaires), it makes sense as well. There is still considerable heightened interest in the band.

I am with you here. 5 years is a pretty long time to wait to release any new material or whatever they plan. They will do it in good time so there is still interest in the band. The longer they wait, the more it will hurt sales. They know that...
I was going to start a thread similar..but it was more of a what I want next thread. I think most of us on our Hip generation have dealt with a death of a loved one...so I certainly get the stages of grief and appropriate time lines...etc.
In my mind the Hip is not over...yes as we've known it to be..ok. What I would like to see is one of two things...either the band carries forward with the foursome and Paul singing...or they adopt another singer. I realize I will get death threats for saying this because the Hip are sacred...but, life is short. I still can't believe Gord is gone. Like most humans...I just took it for granted that we would have another 10 Hip records coming our way...and they would be our version of the Stones in terms of longevity.
My reasons for suggesting they carry on as a unit are many. First, they have a gift to give. Many of us wish we had their musical gift. Secondly, it is healthy to carry on. Death does not end relationships...nor should it. I think playing and writing with one another could be very healing. Thirdly...life is too short. Gord would want them to play. He would want everyone to continue playing.
Anyways, my comments could go in a million different directions. By no means do I say this to dishonour the Hip as we know them. I just have a feeling there could be more to come from them as a foursome...or with another. Just a thought.
How can the Hip carry on with another singer? Either this means they become a de facto Hip cover band (playing the oldies, forever) OR it means they carry on with an inferior - or best case scenario, fundamentally different - lyricist. The first is pathetic. The second is a different and probably lesser band.

They have far too much sense and dignity to do the former. I'd say the latter is at least conceivable, but not under the 'Tragically Hip' imprimatur. They'd call themselves something else. Anyway, Rob Baker has made it pretty clear he's 'semi-retired.' I don't sense some huge hunger from him in interviews to crank up the whole 'band' apparatus in a big way again.

No doubt Paul will continue to put out some new music as a solo act, maybe with a bit of support from his old band mates. (And I remain hopeful that Gord Sinclair, for whom I have huge respect, picks up the torch of his bygone songwriting and shares the results with us). I suspect that's the closest we'll come to a full-blooded Hip reunion in terms of new music: former band mates doing solo work and calling on a couple of their old pals to pitch in on some tracks or maybe even for some live shows.
Killer Whale Tank Wrote:How can the Hip carry on with another singer? Either this means they become a de facto Hip cover band (playing the oldies, forever) OR it means they carry on with an inferior - or best case scenario, fundamentally different - lyricist. The first is pathetic. The second is a different and probably lesser band.

They have far too much sense and dignity to do the former. I'd say the latter is at least conceivable, but not under the 'Tragically Hip' imprimatur. They'd call themselves something else. Anyway, Rob Baker has made it pretty clear he's 'semi-retired.' I don't sense some huge hunger from him in interviews to crank up the whole 'band' apparatus in a big way again.

No doubt Gord Sinclair will continue to put out some new music as a solo act, maybe with a bit of support from his old band mates. (And I remain hopeful that Paul Langlois, for whom I have huge respect, picks up the torch of his bygone songwriting and shares the results with us). I suspect that's the closest we'll come to a full-blooded Hip reunion in terms of new music: former band mates doing solo work and calling on a couple of their old pals to pitch in on some tracks or maybe even for some live shows.

I’ve pondered the viability if somehow REM’s Michael Stipe and the Hip boys paths would align... That would be an intriguing combination to hold old fans and bring in a bunch of American popularity.
[quote="BakersBrew"] In my mind the Hip is not over...yes as we've known it to be..ok. quote]

I've written this before, and maybe in this thread. My view, the band was able to go out in a way that could not have been better scripted. Yes, the reason was tragic and not one anybody would choose. But it was an incredible string of shows, culminating with a nation-wide event that solidified the band's place in at a minimum the country's musical history, possibly the nation's history. To pick a comparable event, that Saturday night will rival Canada Cup 72 in its significance for a generation. No band gets that. Usually there's a breakup, and some quasiform of two bands out on the road (band with new singer, singer with new band).

The remaining members have nothing left to prove. Now it's all about "maintaining the brand", and IMO returning in some Gord-less form damages the legacy they created. That's not to say they won't work together, but I expect anything they do will be pretty low key.

Above Michael Stipe is mentioned. I think REM are in a similar position, minus the tragedy. Stipe is doing the things he's interested in (art and photography, some producing) and seems to occasionally dabble in music (a few benefit appearances). Mills and Buck are having fun as a backing musicians for the most part, Buck seeming to be more involved in music, and occasionally crossing paths and playing together.
As it has always been and always should be, the Hip are the five. Without one there is none.

I'm all for b-sides, archived live album releases, concert videos, etc. But if they perform or record again as the Hip I will be disappointed. That would run counter to everything I thought the band were about. Equal contributions. All five songwriters. The songs belong to the five, and nobody else. Perhaps selfish on my part, but the Hip are sacred. This ain't some Kiss radio commerce band.

I get that the guys in STP are invested in their songs, but replacing Scott Weiland is fucking stupid. He was critical to the sound. It tarnishes the brand and diminishes everything they built. Just make a new band fellas. Don't serve me Molson in a Muskoka glass.
andrew sharpe Wrote:As it has always been and always should be, the Hip are the five. Without one there is none.

I'm all for b-sides, archived live album releases, concert videos, etc. But if they perform or record again as the Hip I will be disappointed. That would run counter to everything I thought the band were about. Equal contributions. All five songwriters. The songs belong to the five, and nobody else. Perhaps selfish on my part, but the Hip are sacred. This ain't some Kiss radio commerce band.

I get that the guys in STP are invested in their songs, but replacing Scott Weiland is fucking stupid. He was critical to the sound. It tarnishes the brand and diminishes everything they built. Just make a new band fellas. Don't serve me Molson in a Muskoka glass.

Great post. I couldn't agree more.

:thumb:
I agree 100%.

However, now I'm just going to wish I knew what Michael Stipe lead-singing for the Hip would be like. REM ever do a hip cover? Hip ever do a REM cover besides ITEOTWAWKIAIFF?

ct
Chris Tanz Wrote:I agree 100%.

However, now I'm just going to wish I knew what Michael Stipe lead-singing for the Hip would be like. REM ever do a hip cover? Hip ever do a REM cover besides ITEOTWAWKIAIFF?

ct

Weirdly I sat behind Gord at two REM shows, and I think I saw him singing along -- does that count?
edgoffin Wrote:

ct

Weirdly I sat behind Gord at two REM shows, and I think I saw him singing along -- does that count?

Christ. That would be the ultimate concert - singalonging with Gord at an REM concert! Did they do Swan Swan H and King of Birds?

ct
I never really got the Hip / REM connection at all. I have heard people say they have a similar sound, but I just never really heard it myself?

If you had to pick one song by The Hip that most sounded like REM song, and one REM song that most sounded like Hip, what would they be?
It might be more about how each band was known for their thoughtful and deep lyrics, as if both had something to say, even if it was in an esoteric way.

I don’t know if it sounds like the Hip, but a song like Nightswimming is haunting and nostalgic in a way that might be similar to Nautical Disaster or Ahead By A Century.
cochise Wrote:I never really got the Hip / REM connection at all. I have heard people say they have a similar sound, but I just never really heard it myself?

If you had to pick one song by The Hip that most sounded like REM song, and one REM song that most sounded like Hip, what would they be?

Heaven is a Better Place Today sounds very similar to early R.E.M. At least to me it does.
I think some of the REM/Hip comparison stems from perceived similarities between Downie and Stipe... quirky and charismatic front men with spastic-yet-somehow-coordinated dancing and sometimes opaque/difficult-to-decipher lyrics. For sure, there are sonic similarities sprinkled through out as well. I think Last American Exit has an 80's REM feel to it and is a song that I could picture Stipe singing. As for Stipe fronting the remaining four, that would make for a very intriguing band. However, I'm not sure REM or Michael Stipe is even aware of the Hip (although being contemporaries you would have to think there was at least some peripheral awareness there). Stipe seems quite comfortable with his life outside of being in a rock band and I would think that if he ever wanted to take the stage again on a regular basis it would be back with REM. They parted on good terms and from outward appearances seem to have all remained good friends.
Chris Tanz Wrote:
edgoffin Wrote:

ct

Christ. That would be the ultimate concert - singalonging with Gord at an REM concert! Did they do Swan Swan H and King of Birds?

ct

None those songs -- I saw REM a handful of times, recall those two songs from Green era shows but I don't think I ever saw either live afterwards. I mostly remember Gord being very reserved, back in 1999 that was a revelation -- Gord on stage was not Gord in public.

As above, I never really got the musical Hip/REM comparison, but they did seem to share the same business approach, and an enigmatic singer fronting a workman band (no matter how many nudie suits Mike Mills added to his closet, he never really looked like a rock star). I recall reading that REM were "the world's best bar band fronted by a dancing poet" -- a good description for both bands.