Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chene Park my first show 1993
My first Hip show was an 89X Bash in 1993 at Chene Park in Detroit.

June 5th 1993 w/sg Crash Vegas (I believe)

With the prospect of this tour being the last, I'm looking back at shows I seen. I have found info on all of them but this one.... which (my first) alludes me. There is no info at TheHip.com or elsewhere that I can find.....

Any other Hipbasers at this show by chance?

I have looked/searched for years to find info on that show and have come up with nothing but a Poster from it. I'd love to see the setlist or if anyone else was there, share stories etc.

Bueller?? :thumb:
I was at that show. I still work for 89X.
A kid from Sarnia died when he got kicked in the throat by a meathead who was upset that he spilled a drink on his girlfriend.
It was my first HIp show. I was amazed at the crowd, I had no idea they had such a rabid following.
This was my first Hip show too. I'm dying to find a set-list for this show. HELP! Smile
This gig had a poster by Mark Arminski that I have been trying to add to my collection for years with no luck

[Image: MAR.1993.06.05wm.jpg]

The hip setlist archive is usually your best bet for this, but it seems to be down at the moment

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://hipbase.com/archive/">http://hipbase.com/archive/</a><!-- m -->
My first Hip show as well. Were not the tickets 89 cents as that was the radio station 89X?

Crash Vegas was the opener. Was really into them at the time. Second time I had seen them. They opened for The Grapes of Wrath the year or two before.

I was too young to get into the place they were playing for the Road Apples tour (Detroit 21 and over) so I was looking forward to this show.

Vivid memory of the roadie cleaning the microphones with mouth wash and a toothbrush in between bands. I don't know why that stuck with me but it did.

Not sure of the setlist.
Nice to see a few pieces of the puzzle coming together. This is an elusive show. I've tried for years to find a setlist... I'm sure it's one the band probably would like to forget since a young man was killed. I do remember that being in the newspapers at the time. Very sad and unfortunate. I remember the night being absolutely beautiful, with the water behind the stage and boats anchored to listen. After this show, rock bands were not booked at Chene Park (for the most part anyway). I know for sure the band played Three Pistols (second) and Little Bones (last). During Little Bones people all around me had their remains of "little bones" from chicken wings that were sold and were chucking them towards the stage area.....ugh. The entire parking lot was filled with Ontario License plates....... Those are my memories of that show...
it's weird that even the official setlist archive on thehip.com doesn't even have the show as being played. it says they played 1 show in june 1993 and that was overseas
Definitely odd that there's no mention of this show anywhere. I believe Crash Vegas opened...maybe one other band.
My brother-in-law was trying to get me into the Hip at the time so he got tickets to that show. I only know one song (50MC) and they opened with it. The rest of the show is somewhat of a blur because of that but it made enough of an impression that I listened to Fully Completely twice the next day. Didn't realize it at the time but this crazy off the cuff story about buying a gun; "why did I buy it, I might as well use it" and problems using it mixed with masturbation undertones was my first exposure to Gord's natural ability to "rant" about things/issues that were currently on his mind. First and only time at Chene Park for me which is sad because it is an awesome venue with Windsor and the Detroit River as the backdrop for the stage. I don't think that place has had a show quite like it since likely because of that incident mentioned above.