Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should we post DVDs as Single- or Dual-Layer?
More and more users have dual-layer drives, and these two set shows generally run more than two hours... which means in order to fit a show onto a single-layer DVD the video needs to be compressed a lot. This results in a loss of video quality.

So, what's the consensus?

If we post them as dual-layer and you don't have a dual-layer drive you'll have to compress it yourself using your burning software (most include some form of Fit-to-DVD compression).

Posting as dual-layer gets the best quality out there but the downloads swell to approximately 8 Gigs per show. 8 Gigs is a big hit on users who have capped monthly allowances. Perhaps this might spell the return of trees and/or B&Ps?

Let's hear your thoughts.
I say post the dual layered version. I am pretty sure the majority of DVD burners are now dual layer.
Even though, for the life of me, I cannot figure out how to burn my dual layered disks. Nero is great for most, but loses me here. But I'll figure it out sometime.
"We're forced to bed, but we're free to dream"
Dana
How about either posting the dual layer versions or splitting the show onto 2 single layer discs to maintain the quality.
I think whatever we decide to do we shouldn't sacrifice quality.

How many people are burning them to begin with?
How many people have some sort of media player hooked up to their tv ad play them that way?
I burn and watch on my tv.I would prefer 2 discs for the longer shows.Seems the easy way to go.
I'm going to go with Dual-layer. It's easy and straightforward to create, and if the downloader isn't Hip to it, they can learn, skip it, or set up a B&P.
If the burning software (Nero) allows for a "fit to dvd" option, how does this affect the quality? I've already downloaded DVDfab as suggested on the tracker by someone. I will learn how to split the 8 gig show on to two dvds.

thanks for the upload though.
chives Wrote:If the burning software (Nero) allows for a "fit to dvd" option, how does this affect the quality? I've already downloaded DVDfab as suggested on the tracker by someone. I will learn how to split the 8 gig show on to two dvds.

thanks for the upload though.
Generally "fit to DVD" will significantly reduce the quality - cutting the resolution by about 40%.