Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Never-Ending Present: AMA
direwolf74 Wrote:At the time I didn't get the sense that he was completely serious, but maybe he was. Who knows?
I think he was quite serious...I seem to remember him saying he actually mailed in paperwork and stuff to get approved.
Schaggs asked: "Do you happen to know what Steven Drake is doing now? He seemed to pivot from the Odds to the engineer/producer role, and I haven't seen him credited on anything in a really long time. I'm either missing it, or it's 'nothing.'"

He's still making music and producing. Nothing particularly high-profile, from what I can recall. He's an incredibly talented guy, and was easily one of my favourite interviews in the book. He's an odd one (no pun intended), and for sure, others have told me he's difficult to work with, a mad genius type who's burned some bridges. I got the impression he's still in touch with Johnny, and they played in Stellar Band of Neighbours together, along with Kevin Kane (Grapes of Wrath), with whom Drake made a record.

Re: videos. I'll walk back on another: I think "Grace, Too" is amazing, and so deliciously weird (sorry, Potsie). I can't believe it was ever played on MuchMusic, and I mean that in a good way. I don't mean to downplay MM's influence on the band's popularity; MM was a bigger driver of hits than radio was in the '80s and '90s, IMO. Personally, I didn't find it that interesting to talk about, though I considered it. I did mention the importance of the Misty Moon show; I knew people who clung to their bootlegged copies of that.
In my Downie interview for HNBTS, I asked him about videos. He didn't have much to say (also I'm sure my question wasn't clearly defined). He seemed more interested in MM's ability to draw attention to causes like WarChild. He liked Denise Donlon. He liked Sook-Yin Lee. But he didn't have much to say about his band's videos.

Potsie says: "1. There is an interesting comment (on p. 234) from an unidentified Hip producer about the unnecessary complexity of Gord’s lyrics. He implies that there was an “arrogance” to the idea that Gord could write what he wanted, presumably without any great thought given to how it would be received by the audience. You don’t identify the source of the comment; was this intentional? It feels like it might have come from Steve Berlin. Given that the Music at Work album, out of all the albums in the catalogue, suffers most under the weight of esoteric lyrics leading to underdeveloped melodies, it would fit. Can you identify the producer?"

Of course it was intentional! If I wanted you to know who said it, I would have ID'ed them. This was something someone told me off the record, so I didn't put their name beside the quote. I will say this, though: things that Berlin said in that chapter contradict the tenor of the quote we're talking about. So, no, it's not Berlin.

2. The Toronto Music Awards in November 1988 is a seminal moment in the band’s career. You describe the unusual performance of the two songs that convinced Bruce Dickinson to sign the band, yet you don’t mention what the two songs were. I’m interested in what the band felt were their two best songs to make a statement with at that point in their career. Do you know which two they played?

Wish I did, but I don't. I should have asked Jake or Bruce this. They would know (or maybe they'd disagree!). Maybe it's in that 2016 National Post interview with Bruce, can't recall.

3. Not a question, more of a comment… the discussion of Downie’s social awkwardness (on p. 266) is bang on: the gears always turning, the lack of linear thought, the search for a tangential expression, always one step ahead in the conversation. As you point out, this is often evident in interviews. I’ve rarely seen an interview with Downie where I would consider the conversation free flowing and relaxed. His mind is always searching and he gives the appearance that it is all very unnatural. One of his great contradictions is that he appeared to be more comfortable talking to 15,000 people than he did to one person.

This is based on my own interactions with him as well, over the years. Even his emails were like that.

Edgoffin asks: "Question #1, when do you think it started to become more of a business for the band? (I will add, I don't think they ever lost touch with that original creative spark)"

In a way, it probably was almost from the very beginning--because it was the principal source of income for everybody in the band. I don't know if they ever held a job after the band started getting busy around 1985. Certainly not after 1986 when they signed with Gold & Gregg. So I'd say at least 1986. But here's a difference b/w the Hip and almost every other band: they knew it was a business, and they were smart about it. They were as invested in all business decisions as much as they were creative decisions. I don't think there was a divide there. A lot of other musicians would prefer not to think about the biz side, which leads to trouble.

Question #2 -- what interview were you most surprised to be granted?

The fact that I got to Chris Tsangarides through a simple Facebook message, and that he responded so quickly and enthusiastically, was a pleasant surprise. (I'm also a huge Concrete Blonde fan.) Hugh Padgham took a bit of digging, but not that much, really. Talking to him was a real thrill: the man made "In the Air Tonight!" And Peter Gabriel's third album! And Synchronicity, and Kate Bush, and, and, and...Both those Brits were perfect gentlemen, and so lovely to talk to. (And in the case of Tsangarides, incredibly timely, right before tragedy struck—he died six months later.)
Peter Garrett was also a thrill. I saw Midnight Oil at the Concert Hall in Toronto the month that Diesel and Dust came out in 1988, and that was a life-changing show. Still in my top 5 of all time. He was relatively easy to find because he'd retired from politics, and had put out a solo record that year and a memoir, and was touring in Australia, so he had an active publicist.
Of course there were many Canadian heroes of mine that I talked to as well for this book, but I wouldn't say I was surprised to get those interviews. Those people are much more accessible.

Scotty12 says: "I would speculate the twitter deletion was due to Rob's desire to become a Canadian senator."

This hadn't occurred to me, but you're absolutely right. This makes a lot of sense. It's a natural career path for the son of a well-regarded judge!
He probably doesn't want all those tweets surfacing about refusing to visit the States during Trump's run.
Hey folks
I'm going coast-to-coast in the next six weeks. If you're in any of these cities, please spread the word and come and say hello and/or throw tomatoes.

Sept 23: Toronto, Word on the Street, 2.15pm
Sept 26: Peterborough, The Garnet
Sept 27: Montreal, Librairie Drawn + Quarterly
Sept 30: Kingston, Writers Festival 11am

Oct 12: Sackville NB, Thunder & Lightning
Oct 13: Halifax, The Carleton
Oct 14: Fredericton, Grimross Brewery 3pm
Oct 15: Saint John, Picaroon's
Oct 16: Moncton, Chapters
Oct 17: Charlottetown Beer Garden
Oct 19: Chatham ON, private event (might be some public tickets, I'll know soon)
Oct 20: Windsor, BookFest
Oct 23: Medicine Hat, Heartwood Cafe
Oct 24: Lethbridge, Geomatic Attic
Oct 25-26: Golden BC, probably hanging out at the Motor Inn
Oct 27: Calgary, National Music Centre 1pm
Oct 28: Vancouver, The Heatley
Oct 29: Edmonton, The Almanac
Oct 30: Saskatoon, McNally Robinson
Oct 31: Regina, Artesian on 13th
Nov 1: Winnipeg, Good Will Social Club

Full details and individual event pages on FB @barclayhipbook
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.facebook.com/pg/barclayhipbook/events">https://www.facebook.com/pg/barclayhipbook/events</a><!-- m -->

Attached Files
.jpg   Never Ending Present tour sept13 update.jpg (Size: 776.2 KB / Downloads: 357)
Cool! I'll try to make it out to the Vancouver event.
see you in Fredericton. looking forward to it!
See you at the event in Winnipeg. I’ll leave my questions for then.
Nov 19, 1996 Winnipeg, MB
Jul 23, 1997 Winnipeg, MB
Feb 26, 1999 Winnipeg, MB
Oct 1, 2002 Winnipeg, MB
Oct 2, 2002 Winnipeg, MB
Nov 23, 2004 Winnipeg, MB
Jan 20, 2007 Winnipeg, MB
Sept 7, 2009 Winnipeg, MB
Sept 9, 2009 Winnipeg, MB
Sept 10, 2009 Winnipeg, MB
Sept 11, 2009 Winnipeg, MB
Jul 7, 2011 Winnipeg, MB
Dec 1, 2012 Fargo, ND
Jan 26, 2013 Winnipeg, MB
Jan 28, 2013 Brandon, MB
Feb 14, 2015 Winnipeg, MB
Aug 5, 2016 Winnipeg, MB
Rye Wrote:I’ll weave my questions for then.

I'm picturing you sounding like Elmer Fudd
potsie Wrote:
Rye Wrote:I’ll weave my questions for then.

I'm picturing you sounding like Elmer Fudd

Damn auto-correct.
Oct 1, 2002 Winnipeg, MB
Oct 2, 2002 Winnipeg, MB
Jul 7, 2011 Winnipeg, MB
Dec 1, 2012 Fargo, ND
Jan 28, 2013 Brandon, MB
Aug 5, 2016 Winnipeg, MB
Updated book tour, final edition. Again, full details for individual events are on FB @barclayhipbook

Looking forward to meeting some/many of you!

Attached Files
.jpg   Never Ending Present tour FINAL UPDATE.jpg (Size: 768.02 KB / Downloads: 287)
Have fun at Picaroon's in my hometown Mr. Barclay!
2004-12-03 - Saint John/2005-09-03 - Moncton/2006-06-30 - Charlottetown/2006-11-09/10 - Montreal/2007-09-11 - Fredericton/2007-09-13 - Halifax/2007-09-14 - Sydney/2007-09-15 - Charlottetown/2008-06-30 - Charlottetown/2009-05-01/02 - Montreal/2011-06-28 - Moncton/2011-06-30 - Charlottetown/2012-06-30 - Niagara-on-the-Lake/2013-02-01 - Moncton/2013-02-02 - Halifax/2015-01-10 - Toronto/2015-02-20 - Montreal/2015-07-17 - Ottawa/2016-08-18 - Ottawa/2016-08-20 - Kingston
Thanks to everyone who came out to all the Atlantic dates. I had so many amazing conversations with so many of you.
(I'm in Chatham and Windsor this weekend, then the western swing starts on Tuesday in Medicine Hat, ending in Winnipeg Nov 1.)
Is the start time for Winnipeg 7pm or 8pm? I am seeing conflicting times on social media. Thank you!
Oct 1, 2002 Winnipeg, MB
Oct 2, 2002 Winnipeg, MB
Jul 7, 2011 Winnipeg, MB
Dec 1, 2012 Fargo, ND
Jan 28, 2013 Brandon, MB
Aug 5, 2016 Winnipeg, MB
Doors 7pm, starts at 8pm. That's what the venue told me, and what's on the poster.
...and now that I'm looking at the tour card I posted here earlier, I see that it says 9pm there. Shit. Not sure how that happened, and hopefully people check the FB event and the venue's website to confirm.

Looking forward to meeting you!
Last night of the tour (though there's a one-off in Cambridge ON on Nov 10 at Forch's Record Store). Thanks to everyone who came out and made this escapade worthwhile.
Finally picked this up and am a couple of chapters deep — really enjoying it so far!
Hello everyone!
Just a heads up that the book will be coming out in paperback in May.
I'm making a few tiny corrections: one non-Hip-related release date, and two typos.

If anyone is aware of any egregious mistakes that should be corrected in the historical record, please let me know.
I need to receive them by Thurs, Jan. 24.
Thanks again for reading, and for all your support.
Cheers
mb