Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Hip's Taping Policy explained... Officially
I've been in conversation with a few TV stations regarding access to live footage that they may have. Today I received an inquiry from one of them about The Hip's taping policy... so I took the opportunity to ask the band what their policy is. Below is the transcript of the emails exchanged:

The Hip Wrote:Hi Chris;

Thanks for your message.

We have thought about that, but figured we best leave it as an "underground" endeavour amongst fans. Pretty much everyone who is interested in recording already knows that we not only allow audio and video taping, but encourage it!

Where we do take an active role, is informing promoters and venues of our policies, and to allow - without prejudice - any and all gear that fans want to bring into the venue(s) with them. This is where commonly we run into problems, in that some venues are hesitant to allow this, without claiming some kind of remuneration. It gets a bit more complicated when we play festivals, etc.. with other bands on the bill, as they have their own policies and record company issues. Under normal circumstances, fans usually have no problems.

We have - as you may already know - released a few shows that we multi-tracked and remastered (<!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.livedownloads.com/tthip">www.livedownloads.com/tthip</a><!-- w --> <http://www.livedownloads.com/tthip> ) from this past fall Canadian tour. I hope you take the chance to have a listen. They turned out rather nicely!

Keep up the recording and trading - and thanks for your support.

TTH

I Wrote:From: -chris
To: <!-- e --><a href="mailto:tth@thehip.com">tth@thehip.com</a><!-- e -->
Sent: Friday, May 27, 2005 11:42 AM
Subject: The band's stance on fan recordings and trading

Hello,

I was wondering if the band has considered publicizing an “Official” policy on fan recordings? There are a number of great fans, myself included, who live for live recordings of The Hip and spend countless hours editing, mixing, and sharing our recordings with other fans; and “policing” online outlets to ensure that these recordings are never sold.

Your feedback is greatly (and eagerly) anticipated.

Best regards,

Chris
good work again chris!
Hmm, so where does that leave you with the TV stations?
It seems The Hip say go ahead and record the live shows, unless someone at the venue says no.
So I guess The Hip are leaving it up to the individual stations themselves.
"We're forced to bed, but we're free to dream"
Dana
farmerdan69 Wrote:good work again chris!
Thanks!

Tthip Wrote:Hmm, so where does that leave you with the TV stations?
It seems The Hip say go ahead and record the live shows, unless someone at the venue says no.
So I guess The Hip are leaving it up to the individual stations themselves.
The TV stations are university/college/internet based, and the first one I discussed the response with seemed cool with it, and said they'd see what they can get me.

Either way, I'm just happy to get a response about this.
Yes, Chris - nice job running with this.
Hmm, I seem to think Gord Downie actually may have wrote to you himself.
Hey, anyone that uses a word like "remuneration" in a sentence must have Gord like qualities.
"We're forced to bed, but we're free to dream"
Dana
Very cool, Chris :thumb:
Good work my man
Great work Chris, and an interesting response.

I would also love to get my hands on old Hip footage that is sitting in the various TV station's vaults across the country collecting dust.

Anyway, happy hunting.
I emailed Studio Q at Queens Uni, to try to get some footage of thier show back in 1992 (or so) at Richardson Stadium.

They said they would have it, but admitted they gave up searching........
I wonder if MuchMusic would give up their stuff? I always wondered if they recorded that whole Moncton 95 gig thats in that ego's and Icons compilation?
I will not give up. My face is set,my gait is fast,my goal is heaven,my road is narrow,my way is rough,my companions are few,my guide is reliable,my mission is clear. I cannot be bought,compromised,detoured,lured away,turned back,diluted or delayed. I will not flinch in the face of sacrifice,hesitate in the presence of adversity,negotiate at the table of the enemy,ponder at the pool of popularity,or meander in the maze of mediocrity. I will not give up,shut up or slow down....Blessed Be!
Sorry it was Halifax 95 in his red long sleeve, just went over my Ego's and Icon's, shit man, Much has got the mother load when it comes to proshot Hip!!!!!
I will not give up. My face is set,my gait is fast,my goal is heaven,my road is narrow,my way is rough,my companions are few,my guide is reliable,my mission is clear. I cannot be bought,compromised,detoured,lured away,turned back,diluted or delayed. I will not flinch in the face of sacrifice,hesitate in the presence of adversity,negotiate at the table of the enemy,ponder at the pool of popularity,or meander in the maze of mediocrity. I will not give up,shut up or slow down....Blessed Be!
I asked Muchmusic a few years back for there footage from the Commodore 2000 show (I explained The Hip's taping policy) and they said 'not a chance'.
haha. Muchmusic is in the BUSINESS of selling this stuff.
Of course they wouldnt give it away. Tongue
One of the university TV stations just emailed me and said that they will transfer all of their Hip footage to DVD and send it my way. Woo Hoo!
Thats awesome Chris! Great work. You never fail to amaze me. I thought your Paris Hilton post was going to make my day!

I can tell right now its gonna be a good weekend.

Looking forward to seeing the footage :thumb: