Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reviews
I guess nobody picked this up today???

I picked it up at future shop for $11.99 and i think it sounds awesome. very well put together.

anyone else?
Is it available everywhere already or do they have a deal with Future Shop to promote it early? If not, I'll head to HMV today 'n report back.

Anthony
Overall, pretty good. The second half of the disc is amazing. Tracks 3 to 6, though, kinda disappointing.

But "Nothing can bring you back" with Sinclair showing off his hidden frailing banjo skills, and "Sweet 'n Low" are great tracks.
My God, do you mean the interview I have in which Sinclair says, "Hey, we might end up a bluegrass band and then I'll have an outlet for all my banjo songs"--he wasn't kidding???

Gord Sinclair, how I love you.
akoso Wrote:Is it available everywhere already or do they have a deal with Future Shop to promote it early? If not, I'll head to HMV today 'n report back.

Anthony

It's available everywhere.
Coneycat Wrote:My God, do you mean the interview I have in which Sinclair says, "Hey, we might end up a bluegrass band and then I'll have an outlet for all my banjo songs"--he wasn't kidding???

Gord Sinclair, how I love you.

Based on "Nothing can bring you back," I'd like to hear more banjo out of Sinclair.
Fantastic album...
There are some pretty solid funk beats in there; the lead single is a little mis-leading in terms of the overall sound of the album, but fantastic musicianship, all around...

Skippy's right, the second half of the album is incredible;

Does anybody hear a little 'Wanted Dead or Alive?" by Bon Jovi in 'Nothing Can Bring You Back'?
Good album. I expected a little more guitar work from Baker (soloing) and some of the lyrics are a little cheesy but despite these things, I like the disc. After a few listens I really got into some of the songs. Some really groovy stuff on there. "Sweet n Low" sounds like Tom Waits or something. Good vocal.

das_hips, I know what you mean and I can hear a little "Wanted Dead or Alive" but not enough to ruin the song. I'm not a Bon Jovi fan and it doesn't sound enough like Bon Jovi to ruin the song for me. Love the brass instruments on the album. At around the 2:16 mark of "Limo" I'm reminded of "This Note's for You" by Neil Young. Cool stuff.
Awesome album! Great music and clever lyrics, and it's hard not to appreciate songs about Xboxes, MP3 players and Fu-Manchu. Shake it off, Full flow angry boy, Bullet proof white limo and Local bear are my favorites so far.
beanmedic Wrote:
akoso Wrote:Is it available everywhere already or do they have a deal with Future Shop to promote it early? If not, I'll head to HMV today 'n report back.

Anthony

It's available everywhere.

Not in Thompson, MB :wink:
I need 2 Kingston Tickets, please help.
I went to HMV in First Canadian Place... right downtown in TO... and they didn't have the disc yet. The guy said their shipment had not arrived yet.

Thought that was a little strange.

So I won't be able to add my 2 cents for a couple days or so.
Oh yeah, I forgot about the reference to Christopher Walken's Don't Fear the Reaper skit on SNL. "...a fever called for the cowbell" in "Full Flow Angry Boy" is classic. Also I love the "fuck you" line. Great stuff. The more I listen to the album, the more I like it. That's a good sign I think.
Hamilton's small independent records stores had it already
Just got home from work and the disc was waiting for me. I am ont he second track (Full Flow Angry Boy) and have been in to both tracks. Sounding GREAT so far!
Very cool album! I have to agree with the above posts, the second half of the disc is absolutely fantastic. "Give Up and Go Away" is a great rock n' roll song, and a perfect choice for the first single. Other highlights so far are "Shake it Off", "Bullet proof White Limo", and "Wave After Wave". Anybody else think Robby's voice sounds a bit like Tom Petty?