Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Moore Theatre Seattle '07 DVD
stephen_malkmus Wrote:
chris Wrote:I was editing while you posted...

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://hipbase.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=150889#150889">http://hipbase.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=150889#150889</a><!-- m -->

so that's Joel?

The Seattle dvd i got is incomplete...and i'm assuming it's that file on that thread?
That's what was put up for download in that thread - an incomplete "rough sketch" of what he was working on.
chris Wrote:
stephen_malkmus Wrote:
chris Wrote:I was editing while you posted...

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://hipbase.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=150889#150889">http://hipbase.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=150889#150889</a><!-- m -->

so that's Joel?

The Seattle dvd i got is incomplete...and i'm assuming it's that file on that thread?
That's what was put up for download in that thread - an incomplete "rough sketch" of what he was working on.

yeah that's what i have.

I'm a regular as far as the pearl jam trading community goes...i have done lots of trades and i would have never thought of offering if this stuff was not traded freely.

again, my sincere apologies.
sorry, didn't mean to start any trouble...actually i only thought i'd found another source for that show....to Stephen Malkmus, i wouldn't worry about sharing what u have....the hip are extremely liberal with trading, and i don't think u did anything wrong....sorry dude, just trying to share info about another possible source.....and i'm sure the taper will be cool with you sharing...it'll all be good!!!
jgardz Wrote:sorry, didn't mean to start any trouble...actually i only thought i'd found another source for that show....to Stephen Malkmus, i wouldn't worry about sharing what u have....the hip are extremely liberal with trading, and i don't think u did anything wrong....sorry dude, just trying to share info about another possible source.....and i'm sure the taper will be cool with you sharing...it'll all be good!!!

ok good..i feel better already Smile
stephen_malkmus Wrote:
jgardz Wrote:sorry, didn't mean to start any trouble...actually i only thought i'd found another source for that show....to Stephen Malkmus, i wouldn't worry about sharing what u have....the hip are extremely liberal with trading, and i don't think u did anything wrong....sorry dude, just trying to share info about another possible source.....and i'm sure the taper will be cool with you sharing...it'll all be good!!!

no worries man...and I'm sure Chris was just checking it all out too...he's pretty much the boot master around here and tends to know what's happening, so don't be shocked by him looking for info....
jgardz Wrote:
stephen_malkmus Wrote:

no worries man...and I'm sure Chris was just checking it all out too...he's pretty much the boot master around here and tends to know what's happening, so don't be shocked by him looking for info....

awesome...we have a pretty tight crew over at red mosquito also, so i totally appreciate and understand that Smile
yup, the mosquito is the best....i've gotten so much from there....though i've fallen behind on the 06 dvds as of late....
jgardz has it covered.... don't sweat it man.

A multi-angle Seattle DVD will be posted to thehiptracker.com soon.... so everyone will be able to experience the goodness.

And Malkmus - you should download the Utrecht 2006 DVD and send it to all the people on the Red Mosquito board! It would more than make up for this hiccup, and is probably the favourite of The Hip DVDs that we've put out. Smile :thumb:
chris Wrote:jgardz has it covered.... don't sweat it man.

A multi-angle Seattle DVD will be posted to thehiptracker.com soon.... so everyone will be able to experience the goodness.

And Malkmus - you should download the Utrecht 2006 DVD and send it to all the people on the Red Mosquito board! It would more than make up for this hiccup, and is probably the favourite of The Hip DVDs that we've put out. Smile :thumb:

haha...Utrecht huh? Sounds like a plan Wink

If Jgardz or yourself would like to make a small trade for that show, i would be open to that. I have mostly Pearl Jam and some Nirvana...so you cats let me know if you're interested and i can show you my list Smile

cheers,
Matt
jgardz, chris-chris, and malkmus...

Settle settle, I've called off the "No Trade" Police. The hounds are back in their cages.

Yes this is the same DVD that was linked here on the hipbase back at the end of March. Mr. Malkmus, I guess your source has yet to inform you that he was pulling your leg, giving you a little shit scare, brewing up a shit storm [insert other Leahy-isms here]. That was the extent of the "fishiness" regarding this vid (actually, more on that in the long story about the disc that follows).

Now, I haven't piped in on this thread because (a) I thought the guy playing the joke would have let on to Malkmus by this time (b) I just got back to Vancouver a few days ago after having been out of the country for about a month, and © I'm nursing the after effects of Roberto Luongo's loss to the Anaheim Ducks last night (we're all still wondering what happened to the rest of the Canucks. If anyone should know of their whereabouts, please tell them the series is over. Thanks) Sad

Here's the full story on this mysterious DVD for anyone interested:

(the short version = “no worries, it’s all fine. Just move on, as there's nothing to see here”)

First things first, I've filmed a number of shows as part of an extensive thesis project (a Master of Applied Science in Interactive Arts and Technology, fyi). Originally, I was interested in Enhanced CD-ROMs and music-related content, then it moved into DVDs, but now I'm far more interested in iPods, enhanced podcasts, and iPod video format and what this affords both the user of the device and the content creator (which can be the same person in today's day and age).

Anyhow, one of my ex-grad school colleagues is a HUGE Pearl Jam fan from New Brunswick who came west to do his Masters degree and is now back out east. He also likes the Hip and the music/concertvid/remix stuff that I was doing in my thesis (he was stuck doing Molecular Biology and envious, but he gets paid WAY better than I ever will Wink ). He was the one who had the above disc in question. I had sent the same download link posted here prior to hitting bandwidth limits, which he burned a copy off and sent to Mr. Malkmus.

While I've filmed a lot of Hip shows, there are a number of other bands that I've filmed over several years. The Hip happen to be the first band filmed in this project, and currently the last band filmed (i.e. at the Moore Theatre). Come to think of it, the first Hip show I saw was actually at the Moore back in 1996, though it was not filmed. In fact, filming shows wasn’t even an idea I had at that point, but I can see now where it came from, given that Hip shows can have a cinematic effect about them at times.

It should be noted that I have a very particular approach to filming shows that I've worked on and experimented with over the course of the thesis project and which is described more fully (and completely) in its documentation. Put briefly, I try for a slightly different "feel" with what I capture and edit than just a documentation of the performance, i.e. more artistic subjectivity implied in the shots from a single-camera-eye perspective. That is the intent at least.

Why?

Basically, a few years back - as in, when computers weren't as fast and hard drive space not as plentiful - I got sick of editing footage the way that I had been. I decided to instead go for capturing non-stop sequences of songs that would require little editing, if not one long uninterrupted shot of an entire show. That was the idea anyway. So while limited to a single camera, I would try to get this single shot as engaging of a perspective as possible given the single camera, continuous recording limitation. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but for the most part I'll get something from a show (even if it's a lesson on what not to do the next time). For example, on the last couple of Hip shows, I was sure I had a few sequences of good shots somewhere in the setlist, but not a start-to-end full recording. At first I was a bit disappointed that I didn't get the whole show, but then realized I just needed an excerpt from it that could provide and engaging viewing/listening experience. So that's fine for me, given that I'm more interested in experimental than professional whith this stuff, i.e. doesn't have to be a "great gig" start-to-end but a "good gig" will do just fine for now.

A little something about metaphor and getting (quoting Robbie Baker) a "good gig"... A large part of my thesis project deals specifically with the notion of metaphor and how we use any number of metaphors as frames of reference for making sense of our environments. For filming a show, I think of the baseball analogy of trying to toss a perfect game, knowing it's not at all likely to happen, but realizing that if you can string a few good innings together and keep the team in the game, then that'll work. Alternately, I also employ a "fishing" metaphor with shooting the shows, i.e. trying to "reel in" some good shots with the camera. Point being, these are (my) subjective constructions that frame the approach and the works produced and there can be multiple frames taking place at the same time. Others might share similar perspectives, or have other frames of reference altogether, but these framings are always taking place when dealing with culture whether as an audience member or content producer. I'm not sure if that's useful information for someone about to check out the DVD, but anyway…

Since taking this approach, and in further addressing Masters thesis ideas related to art, digital culture, and interactivity, I've also experimented with this single-camera-eye idea as part of a multi-camera setup for filming various other non-Hip bands. The result has been some non-traditional multi-camera concert productions that, for all their technical warts and DIY look, I'm quite happy with. A couple of shows by The National and Clap Your Hands Say Yeah stand out in particular (Note: I used to have all these recordings streaming off a Quicktime server, but it had to go off line for cost reasons once I defended my thesis). While I haven't done anything similar with any of my Hip footage and multi-camera edits, given the amount of recordings out there, it might be something to try later on down the road, whoever ends up doing it.

Now, back to the Seattle show on March 29... I lost my camera not long ago on a "fishing trip" to New Orleans, so to speak, and as a result it's a bit more of a complicated process in getting the resources to shoot more shows. A limited forced retirement if you will. So i was kind of debating on whether to head down to the Seattle gig with camera or not. Further, I was leaving the following week for a conference in Australia (incidentally, the conference was about grassroots and participatory media such as YouTube etc.). Combined with assignments and presentations to grade for my students at the end of the term, I wasn't sure if I'd have time to get to the show, but got sorted out and headed down to the Moore with a borrowed camera.

The new camera is a fantastic device, much better than the one I lost, but also very touchy to shoot with and quite a bit different than what I'm used to. Since using this new camera, for me, feels like relearning how to shoot, I didn't think I'd get a good start-to-end show out of it, and that in fact is the case. However, I was sure that the song “Fully Completely” turned out reasonably well, and while I wasn't going to touch the footage until getting back from Australia, I couldn't resist seeing if I could at least do something with that song.

Vowing not to get caught up in video editing, which will suck you under if not careful, (“Fairly warned, be thee, says I, haharr” - Cpt. McAllister), I had a look at the footage and figured it might be reasonable to do a longer sequence of songs from the set. Now the turnaround had to be quick on this, or I wouldn't do it at all, so I did up the "rough sketch" the next day and put a DVD and an iPod video version up for download here. This is the same version that Malkmus, chris-chris, and jgardz are talking about, i.e. the "rough sketch" or "Seattle Hip Sketch". The songs on this clip from March 29 are as follows:
  • 1) "Springtime in Vienna"
    2) "At the 100th Meridian"
    3) "Boycaygeon"
    4) "The Kids Don't Get It"
    5) "Fully Completely"
    6) "Scared"
No more has been done with this piece in the meantime, so there's no new updated version to look for or some other disc with extra songs. I don't intend to do any more with this clip actually, unless there's soundboard audio available to mix in. There might be the odd song in the setlist that's worth having a look at, but the above list is the only good stream of songs that I believe I was able to get while filming the show. I was too busy fiddling with the camera otherwise, or trying to find a better shooting angle, or trying to forget about having to badly take a whizz! While I have some ideas for how to enhance the transitions between these songs – i.e. to go beyond a “rough sketch” version - again, it's not worth bothering with unless the full audio quality is there.

As far as I'm concerned, the clip is fine as a next-day-turnaround attempt, and a nice little excerpt from the show to go along with the other clips or DVDs that come from the vid shot by BigA, markslog, or others that may have been recording as well. On that note, I personally don't think we have the attention spans for full show recordings now anyways, but at the same time still want more of a "live feel" than just a single song. As a result, a mini 6-song set of 30-40 minutes from a 2 hour show is about right for these kinds of works. That's my view anyway, especially when hockey games go into multiple OTs and eat up lots and lots and lots of time (yeah, like that never happens).

So why isn't this DVD up on the Tracker? I'm not sure if it is or isn't. Since I posted the file, I figured somebody would put it up there anyway if it was in demand. However, my login doesn't seem to work for the Tracker and I haven't bothered to sort it out in order to take a look. Again, I’ve mostly been out of the country and away from a computer and had no need for torrents. I'm currently more interested in the iPod vid stuff than DVD anyway, given my research.

Why?

Well, amongst a number of reasons, the iPod video (mp4) format, when played on an iPod video player, essentially demands an individual headphone listening experience where you can better get away with lo-fi audio and video sources (which is what my stuff is for the most part). This is especially the case when DVDs of material captured with older equipment get played on bigger and bigger screens that demand higher resolution. The 320x240 iPod video screen can therefore become a useful limitation - or design constraint - IMO. Further, in authoring these little videos, you can do much quicker renders and re-renders until you get something you're happy with upon review (it’s good to see how it looks on the eventual playback device rather than only on the computer). And since I was stuck on an airplane for 14 hours each way, I needed my video iPod for reviewing, especially when one flight's entertainment system (and reading light!) went on the fritz. :x

Now, when I got back from Australia earlier this week I saw this post and asked my colleague if he was the infamous Mr. Malkmus. Of course he wasn't, but didn't realize that his friend had sent out copies via the PJ site and was deeply apologetic, thinking that I wasn't all right with this. I told him I didn't care and since the Hip have such an open taping policy, it shouldn't be an issue, so his friend had nothing to worry about. But my colleague wanted to scare him up a little bit and play a friendly joke. I guess he did, given Malkmus' tone on this thread.

So Malkmus, no worries, it's all fine. Just gimme some Nirvana boots!!! Wink

Joel (a.k.a. spycouple)

-sorry about the real estate taken up on this post, but i at least hope it reads well enough
wow...interesting read joel....glad all is in the clear now....I never thought this would get as big as it (sort of) did...I was just passing along word of an alternate dvd of the moore show, and voila, full discussion ensues....now...how bout getting that full Moore DVD out boys....lol
Joel's story reminds me of one of my favourite Seinfeld episodes ...

Jerry: Kramer there is no way you're giving this tape to Brody and telling him I shot it.

Kramer: Nah, he's not going to know the difference.

Jerry: I don't care about Brody. I was up on 96th Street today, there was a kid couldn't have been more than ten years old. He was asking a street vendor if he had any other bootlegs as good as Death Blow. That's who I care about. The little kid who needs bootlegs, because his parent or guardian won't let him see the excessive violence and strong sexual content you and I take for granted.
Brody: So where's the tape?

Jerry: No, I didn't shoot this one. I'm just scouting the location.

Brody: I need the tape.

Jerry: You'll get your tape. But here's what I'm gonna need. I'm gonna need three cameras, two on the floor, one in the balcony. And I want headsets for the guys runnin' 'em. I wanna be able to talk to 'em.

Brody: Are you out of your mind?

Jerry: Kramer...

Kramer: I know, Jerry. It's okay. (Jerry steps aside) Yeah, look, Brody. Uh, Jerry wants to do the bootleg. He's dyin' to do it. But if you don't make him happy, the work suffers. And then, nobody's happy.

Brody: Just shoot the damn thing so I can get it out on the street!

:-)
DEATH BLOW SEATTLE. I can't Waite for DEATH BLOW SEATTLE II.
NegPhil Wrote:DEATH BLOW SEATTLE. I can't Waite for DEATH BLOW SEATTLE II.
Ha ha ha Big Grin I'm going to have to dig up the old VHS Seinfeld episodes. I don't think I've seen that one in a while.

Quote:"When someone tries to blow you up, not because of who you are,
but for different reasons altogether."

good stuff!

jf
LOL great read Smile

I'm gonna kill Al.....

Hey Joel it's great to finally "meet" you, my best bud and fellow pearl jam freak has told me a lot about you. I actually saw the National show on dvd last time i partyed with him in Montreal...great stuff.

Why don't you pm me your addy and i'll send ya a few Nirvana freebies. I love them all, but i'll send you my favorites Wink

cheers,
Matt