Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Last Tour/New Thought
FWIW I always preferred the straight song version and am not a big fan of the extended rants.

But I get it was part of their show and was a tool to help with songwriting
5-1-99 Huntington, NY
7-1-00 Central Park NYC
8-3-00 Wantagh, NY
10-6-00 Town Hall NYC
7-27-02 Irving Plaza NYC
7-28-02 Irving Plaza NYC
9-22-04 Webster Hall NYC
4-24-07 Irving Plaza NYC
10-23-07 Manhattan Center NYC
8-18-16 CTC Ottawa, ON
Gord was interviewed around the time of Fully Completely and said something to the effect of, and I'm paraphrasing, "After a record is made, the volume in my head gets turned down. When I go out on tour it gets turned up again and eventually it gets really loud. It's then I know that it's time to make another record." I've always wondered if the rants appeared at times when the volume in his head was high and he had a lot of song ideas and snippets of lyrics floating around. In the first half of his career rants may have been more common because he didn't have a secondary outlet for his rapidly accumulating material. After 2000, with a fully established solo career, he had another outlet for these ideas, with the number of rants possibly diminishing due to him actually being able to put ideas down on tape at a more frequent rate.
potsie Wrote:Gord was interviewed around the time of Fully Completely and said something to the effect of, and I'm paraphrasing, "After a record is made, the volume in my head gets turned down. When I go out on tour it gets turned up again and eventually it gets really loud. It's then I know that it's time to make another record." I've always wondered if the rants appeared at times when the volume in his head was high and he had a lot of song ideas and snippets of lyrics floating around. In the first half of his career rants may have been more common because he didn't have a secondary outlet for his rapidly accumulating material. After 2000, with a fully established solo career, he had another outlet for these ideas, with the number of rants possibly diminishing due to him actually being able to put ideas down on tape at a more frequent rate.

Found the interview of Gord talking about the volume in his head. The site isn't letting me embed the video. Check out 1:25-1:55 on the link below if interested...

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4a-9nz6YAU&list=PLcadRgLtaQ56IRnKt0R-Fkzd0tv-SYo6S&index=77">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4a-9nz ... S&index=77</a><!-- m -->

[youtube]m4a-9nz6YAU[/youtube]