Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hip Tracker Upload: 2004-11-26 - Toronto DVD
I think if you turn the vob files into an .iso image file, then mount the image in a virtual drive, it will play as though it were a real DVD, menus & all.
You don't need to burn it, or convert it to watch it. Just "open" the VIDEO_TS folder with your DVD decoder/player software. It will be fully functional.
chris Wrote:You don't need to burn it, or convert it to watch it. Just "open" the VIDEO_TS folder with your DVD decoder/player software. It will be fully functional.

That's what I said, but you won't be able to click on any menu options, assuming there are any. You also have to open each individual vob file, which isn't difficult, just something you need to do when watching a dvd from files on your pc.
Billy Wrote:
chris Wrote:You don't need to burn it, or convert it to watch it. Just "open" the VIDEO_TS folder with your DVD decoder/player software. It will be fully functional.

That's what I said, but you won't be able to click on any menu options, assuming there are any. You also have to open each individual vob file, which isn't difficult, just something you need to do when watching a dvd from files on your pc.

There are menu options, and if your software is configured properly, you shouldn't have to open each individual vob file. Can anyone else confirm that they are able to watch DVDs without burning them, and without opening each individual vob file?

:thumb:
soquester Wrote:
chancellor Wrote:only if i had a dvd burner, I guess i will wait until its officially released.
I thought you could just watch them using DVD decoding software on your computer (is this wrong?)...

If I'm not right about this, I should probably stop wasting bandwidth and not download it, so could someone let me know?

No you are correct,

on another note if anyone wants a copy feel free to PM me with a B&P and I will gladly burn this for anyone that asks Smile

My download should be done in 2 to 3 days, and I use Grade A Ritek Ridata 8x DVD+r disks. If you send me a disk that isn't a Ritek, Maxell or Verbatim I will burn the dvd onto one of my Riteks to make sure you don't have any weird corruption that other disks may suffer. (That is untill I run out of Disks Wink ) I don't have jewell cases or sheets to put the disks in so I would appreciate it if that could be sent too. If you forget to send that I will do my best to find some, so the DVD doesn't get scratched in the mail, because we all know how careful Canada Post isn't. :thumb: :jump

Once again big thanks go to Chris and his hard work, and for people asking about other shows, let the tapers have their lifes, and their time, and if they feel like getting it out to everyone they will when they are ready.
chris Wrote:
Billy Wrote:
chris Wrote:There are menu options, and if your software is configured properly, you shouldn't have to open each individual vob file. Can anyone else confirm that they are able to watch DVDs without burning them, and without opening each individual vob file?

:thumb:

yeah i'll confirm that.
i routinely watch a good chunk of each dvd i download on my computer before burning, and test out the menus etc. to ensure i don't bother burning something that i don't want to keep for whatever reason.
the other good thing about being able to watch dvd's on my 'puter the same as a standalone machine is that i can watch PAL dvd's that way :thumb:

rivum
btw chris, thanks for this (and every other dvd)
i've gotten so much good stuff from you i couldn't possibly repay you in any way.

rivum
Chris - thanks for doing the Toronto DVD. Can't wait till i get home to start gettting it from the torrent and I'll be leaving it running for others down the line for the rest of the week.

I'm a newbie here to hipbase but long time trader thru mail and FTP's... this is heaven for me to find this site. For the odd goof that complains, i think there are dozens more who are appreciative of your efforts.

thanks again

Mike
a BIG THANKS go out to everyone involved in getting this out to the community. i will still buy the officially released dvd, obviously. it's very noble of others to help each other out, whenever possible.

to chris & mansized eldorado...you guys R-U-L-E :music
Did the server go down by chance ive been stuck on 77% for about an hour or so?

thx again chris
Gotcha Wrote:Did the server go down by chance ive been stuck on 77% for about an hour or so?

thx again chris
There is no server per se; I just stopped seeding for a bit so that I could use my computer, and download some stuff I had to do for work.

As I've tried to get across in other threads, my real life takes priority over all things Hip. :thumb:

It'll be back on in a few minutes.
Got 3 B&P requests for the show, looks like I'll have it finished by tommorow so my offer still stands if anyone else would like a copy, but can't burn, go ahead and PM and Ill reply asap. Smile
eh man no prob i was just curious, clearly work comes first was just curious or thought maybe i did something
tragicallymike Wrote:chris, you arent developing that oh so unfriendly eletist taper attitude are ya...cause that gets tired quick. The question that AryanTwang asked you really wasnt that big of a deal. I dont read all the threads on here about the dvd's cause i dont have a dvd burner but i still like to keep tabs on whats out there and i was just wondering the same thing about the Detroit DVD. Not because you owe it to us but because i have no fuckin idea how much work it takes to do this for everyone and I thought it was a painstaking process that took weeks and months to put together. Im guessing thats what aryantwang thought when he asked how you could get this out so quick. Im sure he was just confused. His question wasnt even posed in a rude manner? Lighten up for a minute bro.
Thankfully, most people who have a question about when I'm going to finish a project, send me a PM, rather than post it in the forum. aryantwang chose to post it. I think that most other readers are reacting as if his is the only question of when I'm going to get it done; trust me, he's not the only one to ask, and frankly, I'm sick and tired of answering the question.

Secondly, I understand what it's like to have to wait for someone to follow through on something (like sending tapes to me for conversion), but I still don't post my question in a public thread, no matter how nicely I figure I can word it.

As most regular readers will know, I am a firm supporter of using the Search feature. Had aryantwang done a search, the answer to his question would have been answered.

And finally, I'm not developing an elitist attitude. If I was, I would have put an abrupt stop to all of the sites under hipfans.com (memorabilia, tracker, faqs, links, and tabs) that I've spent a lot of time on, and halt current and future distribution plans for any/all of the DVDs I have.

Now, one might ask, "but Chris, if you have time to put together these sites, and the Toronto DVD, and offer to take other peoples tapes and convert them to DVD, why haven't you finished the Detroit project?"

Well my friends, the answer is simple. Making sites, and converting shows are things that I have done in the past, and know how to do with some proficiency. They don't take me very long, and the learning curve, if any, is very short. Conversely the learning curve of Final Cut Pro is rather long and winding.

As well, there are some other Hipbasers/fans who have said that they are going to send things to me in the mail for me to convert/work on. I hate waiting for things more than most, and so I feel that if someone else has taken the time to send me a piece of their work, the least I can do is prioritize my time to finish their project first. This usually means that I need to keep some time, and lots of hard drive space clear so that when their project comes in I can work on it immediately.

Now the problem arises when people say that they are going to send me something, and then don't.

I hope that makes things clearer, and I'd be as thrilled as the next fan if we could drop this conversation, and any discussion of the Detroit DVD. If I get it done before 2010 everyone can go home happy. Smile
Wow...

That's all I can say. Reading this thread, I can honestly say that I don't think I'm going to videotape the Sydney and Halifax shows. I was excited about doing a 2 or 3 DVD set and making it a "HipTrip by the fans for the fans" thing complete with fan interviews, photo galleries, and maybe a word or two from a couple band members after the show, and getting Chris to make it all up real nice for everyone at the Hipbase and beyond. Chris is the best, and he replied immediately when I PM'd him about this potential project. I have no doubt that he would have it ready in good time, but I would not be at all disappointed or surprised if he didn't. I can only imagine how much time it takes to do something like a DVD from raw footage, let alone have his own life.
So.... if there's no Sydney/Halifax footage for a DVD, with which to bother Chris about when it's going to be ready, then perhaps all the better for all of us...

Or am I wrong?

Rory
Halifax