Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GD: Roots & Blues Festival, Salmon Arm, BC (2010-08-15)
[Image: 4898854756_5f44f4572c.jpg]

This was my first time seeing Gord with The Country of Miracles and I was thoroughly impressed with their performance. I enjoyed it more than any show I've seen in quite awhile. Unfortunately, after talking to people after the show, those sentiments are apparently not universal.

Full set of photos here.

This review wasn't intended for the hipbase, but it doesn't have a home yet, so here it goes. Excuse any generalities:

Gord Downie & The Country of Miracles played to an partially unappreciative and ever-dwindling crowd Sunday night at Salmon Arm’s 18th Annual Roots and Blues Festival. Their performance followed an unimpressive set of songs by Nomfusi and the Lucky Charms, an unfortunate lead-in to Gord’s sprawling canadiana-laden lyrics and unique rock style. However, a brief interlude by Fred Penner helped to bridge the gap (Although simply pushing the Tom Fun Orchestra up a slot on the schedule may have been a more elegant solution).

The crowd warmed up nicely, and the front of the stage filled up fast with enthusiasm. But a few songs into the set many at the festival were packing up and heading out. It seemed for those who had decided not to stand-up, their patience had been tested. What are these songs about worrying mothers and failed marriages? Maybe they were expecting to hear New Orleans is Sinking, but perhaps the heat of the day had simply taken its toll. Despite those with disregard, nothing was stopping the group from giving their best; for those who were willing to listen were given entertainment of high value.

The Tragically Hip were nowhere in sight, and barely deserve a mention. Downie’s endeavours with The Country of Miracles were triumphant, honest and authentic. He asked the crowd to sing the words, “That Ocean is dead,” in hopes that doing so would bring the idea closer to reality, trumping any clap-your-hands moments earlier in the day. Of their performance, he warned, “You can’t capture this on your cell phone.” This was indeed true. Loose impromptu sing-alongs followed by extended jams showed that this group had such rapport it was leeching into each song.

How do you categorize this music? Gord probably explained it best when relating their tour lineup taking them to Blues, Rock and Folk festivals. This music doesn’t belong at a Roots/Blues festival, but at all festivals. Gord Downie’s and The Country of Miracles’ vibe is what music is about, and it’s for everyone. This music should feel at home in any playlist or at any festival.